Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:35
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2005

For a long time I had been able to import Trados txt files into DV3, without any problems. Now I am not able to do so, for some reason.
I am using Windows XP (SP1).
I have Trados 5.5. I follow the usual export procedures in Trados, creating a txt file, but I try to import this into DV3 or DVX, nothing is imported.
DV3 sends me a message "Can't read input file", while DVX simply "succesfully imported 0 segments".

I also tried a workaround solution via TMX, but it di
... See more
For a long time I had been able to import Trados txt files into DV3, without any problems. Now I am not able to do so, for some reason.
I am using Windows XP (SP1).
I have Trados 5.5. I follow the usual export procedures in Trados, creating a txt file, but I try to import this into DV3 or DVX, nothing is imported.
DV3 sends me a message "Can't read input file", while DVX simply "succesfully imported 0 segments".

I also tried a workaround solution via TMX, but it did not work out either.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you.

PS I know there is a yahoo newsgroup on DV. I have asked this same question there before, but no real solution from there.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Language codes? Mar 16, 2005

Hi Csaba,
I have no experience with DV whatsover, but one of the 'favourite gremlins' when importing files is inconsistency in languages/language codes. Have you checked if source/target languages match exactly?

Cheers, Ralf

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:35
German to English
+ ...
Encountered same problem Mar 17, 2005

Hi Ban

I had DV trial version a couple of months ago and had the same problem as you.

I remember getting a kind of automatically-generated message from DV support saying that the problem was unresolved and that people would be informed when it was fixed (or something like that). That put me off DV a bit and I have decided not to purchase it meanwhile.

Robin

Del01 (X)
Del01 (X)
German to Spanish
+ ...
txt file? Mar 17, 2005

I posted the following message on the DV list:

What do you mean by txt file? A doc file? Or ttx file? AFAIK, txt files as such cannot be directly translated with Trados. At first, they have to be converted.

Regards,

Ignacio

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you so far Mar 17, 2005

The annoying thing is that I actually converted several Trados jobs and TMs into DV format(and then back into Trados) successfully in the past, but for some time I cannot convert TMs. (I am still able to convert the actual jobs though).

Don't be put off with DV, it is a truly great product with very powerful features!

txt files: When I export a TM from Trados, the generated file is in txt format. DV is supposed to recognize this format and convert it into a DV-format TM
... See more
The annoying thing is that I actually converted several Trados jobs and TMs into DV format(and then back into Trados) successfully in the past, but for some time I cannot convert TMs. (I am still able to convert the actual jobs though).

Don't be put off with DV, it is a truly great product with very powerful features!

txt files: When I export a TM from Trados, the generated file is in txt format. DV is supposed to recognize this format and convert it into a DV-format TM.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:35
English to German
+ ...
An idea Mar 17, 2005

When you exported a Trados TM into txt format you can import it into a .dvmdb file, but not into a .dvprj file.

I mixed them up sometimes..

And another idea:

Take a look at the exported .txt file:
has it an RTF preamble, or is it really the good old plain text format?
For these cases I wrote a tool which deletes the rtf stuff....
See more
When you exported a Trados TM into txt format you can import it into a .dvmdb file, but not into a .dvprj file.

I mixed them up sometimes..

And another idea:

Take a look at the exported .txt file:
has it an RTF preamble, or is it really the good old plain text format?
For these cases I wrote a tool which deletes the rtf stuff.

[Edited at 2005-03-17 16:59]
Collapse

Del01 (X)
Del01 (X)
German to Spanish
+ ...
so you mean a TM and not file to translate! Very easy, man! Mar 17, 2005

OK, so you mean you want to import a TM in txt format. I have no problems whatsoever here (I just did a test). I will reproduce all steps to import a Trados TM into DV:

1) Open the Trados TM with Translator's Workbench or double-clicking on the TM.

2) Select File > Export. The window "Export" appears. Don't make any changes ans just click OK. The window "Create Export file" appears. Write a name for the new txt file. Translators' Workbench shows the following message: "
... See more
OK, so you mean you want to import a TM in txt format. I have no problems whatsoever here (I just did a test). I will reproduce all steps to import a Trados TM into DV:

1) Open the Trados TM with Translator's Workbench or double-clicking on the TM.

2) Select File > Export. The window "Export" appears. Don't make any changes ans just click OK. The window "Create Export file" appears. Write a name for the new txt file. Translators' Workbench shows the following message: "Export finished successfully. X of Y TUs exported."

3) Open the txt file to check that it is not empty, though.

4) Open DVX. Create a new DB or open an existing one.

5) Select File > Import > File or Database. The Translation Memory Import Wizard appears. Click on Next and select "Trados WB Database". In the next step, select the txt file you exported from Trados and click on Next.

6) Check the languages (normally, you won't need to make any changes). Click on Next.

7) Click on Finish.

8) The resulting TM will keep the date of each entry, the user name and, as the project name, the name of the txt file you imported.

Try it and you'll tell me.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Csaba Ban wrote:

txt files: When I export a TM from Trados, the generated file is in txt format. DV is supposed to recognize this format and convert it into a DV-format TM.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the point Mar 18, 2005

Thank you, Ignacio, for the detailed description. That is EXACTLY the way I am doing it. In the past, I did this sooo many times without any problems, but for some time now both DV3 and DVX is unable to import such a txt file.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:35
English to German
+ ...
RTF-Problem? Mar 18, 2005

Csaba Ban wrote:
...but for some time now both DV3 and DVX is unable to import such a txt file.

Is this the time since Trados TMs are exported in RTF-format instead of plain text format?
(They still have the extension .txt, but they may have an RTF preamble, nevertheless.)

[Edited at 2005-03-18 15:10]

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Update patch Apr 1, 2005

Try TMX import after updating DVX up to the latest build.
(7.0.273). I had the same problem which didn't reappear after I updated to (at that time new) 7.0.238 build.

BR,

Vesna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't import Trados txt files into DV3/DVX

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »