Error message regarding DNS server
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 13:23
German to English
Jan 27, 2008

I am trying to access a site for information purposes. No matter how I try to open a page on the site - by typing the URL in directly or clicking on a link - it does not open and I get a white screen with the message that no connection could be established. When I perform an automatic error diagnosis via Internet Explorer, I get the message "The DNS server may not be active" (Der DNS-Server ist eventuell nicht aktiv).

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it? Or is this a programming problem that only the website administrator can fix?

[Edited at 2008-01-27 21:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

gfe
Local time: 19:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Just another check Jan 27, 2008

Get to the command line interface (in W2000 I select Start/Programs/Accessories/Command prompt), and type:
tracert name-of-domain-you-look-for
(e.g. tracert www.proz.com)

If the system starts giving you line after line of things like
1 90 ms 50 ms 60 ms 192.168.0.1
then the site and its DNS exist and there is some problem in your Internet browser (unlikely but not impossible).
Or you will get some other message, more or less self-explanatory, and very likely the problem is in the site or its DNS.
GFE

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS/Nuance Jan 28, 2008

Nuance is DNS. Try:

http://www.nuance.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message regarding DNS server

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search