What is a featured Kudoz Term
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:41
English to German
+ ...
Feb 16, 2006

is it any different from the others, importance, special projection etc., It struck me today for the first time. This site is massiv, there are constantly new things to find. Brandis

ps. thank you Ingo, this is new to me.

[Edited at 2006-02-17 08:21]

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Equals good term question Feb 16, 2006

This was introduced a few weeks ago. Editors have the chance to mark a KudoZ question as a "good" question if they think it is, for instance, an important term or an interesting term. This then may become the featured KudoZ term and therefore might draw more interest to the question.
That is at least as I understand it. As I am not an editor, editors are more than welcome to correct me where I am wrong.

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:41
English to Romanian
Where do you see the featured terms? Feb 17, 2006

Just curious... I haven't seen any around

Ingo Dierkschnieder
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
On the home page Feb 17, 2006

You can find them on the home page, Maria, on the right hand side where you also find the featured translator, featured article and so on. The reason why you haven't seen one is probably that there is not always a featured term as it is a new feature and highly depends on the editors choosing a KudoZ question to be featured. Keep looking out for them!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hope....... Feb 17, 2006

that there is a 'featured term per language'...any old featured term isn't of much use unless specific to one's lang pairs:-)

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 04:41
Member (2003)
French to English
I like this feature, but who is able to do this? Feb 19, 2006

Ingo Dierkschnieder wrote:

Editors have the chance to mark a KudoZ question as a "good" question if they think it is, for instance, an important term or an interesting term. This then may become the featured KudoZ term and therefore might draw more interest to the question.
That is at least as I understand it. As I am not an editor, editors are more than welcome to correct me where I am wrong.

I like the idea of this, as it is something positive, but I would also be interested to know who exactly have the ability to do this.

I ask because it seems like editors have quite a bit of freedom in their editing, yet all they might have to do is exceed a certain number of points and then pass a test or something?

Again, someone can correct me on this, as that is just my observation/understanding. I've just noticed quite a lot of editing going on, some good some maybe not necessary, so this is how this appears to me.

Thanks.

Ingo Dierkschnieder
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Correction Feb 20, 2006

I have to correct myself: I was talking about editors but it is actually moderators that are able to choose a featured KudoZ term.

I am indeed an "editor" myself (or more like an assitant to the moderators) but can't pick a featured KudoZ term but merely edit KudoZ questions as regards the translation field they appear under, the language direction and if the question should be Pro or Non-Pro.

As to this "assistant" position, I can say that I was invited to do this aft
... See more
I have to correct myself: I was talking about editors but it is actually moderators that are able to choose a featured KudoZ term.

I am indeed an "editor" myself (or more like an assitant to the moderators) but can't pick a featured KudoZ term but merely edit KudoZ questions as regards the translation field they appear under, the language direction and if the question should be Pro or Non-Pro.

As to this "assistant" position, I can say that I was invited to do this after achieving, I think, 1500 KudoZ points. This points limit varies between the language directions, according to the "significance" of the language direction (which I assume would be based on the number of questions asked in this direction and the number of members/contributors working in this direction).

How a moderator is chosen, I sincerely don't know. The page about moderators, http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/team&ssp=team&sssp=moderators, doesn't reveal either. However, I assume that it is working in a similar way to choosing an editor: a certain KudoZ point score which shows commitment to helping others and, most of all, an invitation to join as a moderator.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a featured Kudoz Term

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »