Thread poster: Sherefedin MUSTAFA

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 23:07
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2013

Hi all,

Could you please suggest me a way how to count text containing lines in Word 2007, i.e. excluding empty lines.

KR

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Count what? Mar 27, 2013

What exactly are you trying to count? If it is words or characters, then the blank lines won't make any difference.

Perhaps it is lines you are trying to count? I know that is the practice in some countries...

If so, you might be able to look at what actually makes these blank lines: are there 2 consecutive line returns, for example? If so, you might be able to use search-and-replace to replace them with a single line return. You might even find that it is simply the inter-paragraph spacing parameter that makes it look as if there are blank lines...

Depending on exactly what the purpose of this counting is, it might be sufficient to establish a rough average of how many words and/or characters per line, and then simply divide the overall word / character count by this to derive a line count, which should (over a long document) be accurate enough for most purposes.

Is there in fact a blank line between every line? If so, of course, then all you need to do is take the overall line count and divide by 2!

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Do this on a copy Mar 27, 2013

1) Change all manual line breaks to paragraph characters
2) Change all paragraph character + white space to paragraph character
3) Repeat (2) until no more changes
4) Change all occurences of two paragraph characters to one paragraph character
5) Repeat (4) until no more changes
6) Find all paragraph characters
7) Check the last line. If it's not empty, add 1 to the count

step 1 changes all lines that were split with shift-enter into "proper" lines.
steps 2&3 empty any lines that only contain white space
steps 4&5 delete all empty lines
step 6 counts the remaining lines
step 7 is in case the last line is not terminated with a carriage return and therefore not counted in step 6

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Not sure what you are asking, either, Mar 27, 2013

but here are a few things to try:

Line or Word Count in a .docx using Word 2007:
Wordcount feature is at the bottom left in the status bar (at least it is in my German version of Word 2007). If it isn't there, right-click the status bar for more options, then click on the ones you want to show in the status bar. Default setting for the Word Count is the number of words. Click on the Word Count tab in the status bar and a new window pops up, which shows more items, such as the line/character/paragraph count.

If you need the number of lines for Germany, where line counts are still sometimes used for quoting/invoicing, the standard line is 55 characters including spaces. The character count is also available in the same way the MSWord line count is as described above, i.e. in the window that pops up. Divide the character count shown (with spaces) by 55 and you get your own line count if you don't want to use the Word line count. There can be deviations between them, but I don't know what formula Word uses to arrive at their figure. Germany still often uses the line count method because German words can be extremely long, so for that particular language, it seems to be a more equitable system. It comes up less and less frequently these days, but some agencies still use it. Empty lines don't count at all this way.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text containing lines

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search