A home button which is always visible (B)
Thread poster: Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:09
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 16, 2004

I think all Prozzians are homesick frome time to time. I mean, after visiting a job / kudoz / forum page you want to go (back) to the Home page. In my opinion, the most comfortable way is to use the Home button (in the upper green bar): you go immediately to a REFRESHED Proz homepage.

However, after scroling down on a page, the Home button is out of sight. Now, you first have to scroll up or press Ctrl + Home on your keyboard before you can click the Home button.

My que
... See more
I think all Prozzians are homesick frome time to time. I mean, after visiting a job / kudoz / forum page you want to go (back) to the Home page. In my opinion, the most comfortable way is to use the Home button (in the upper green bar): you go immediately to a REFRESHED Proz homepage.

However, after scroling down on a page, the Home button is out of sight. Now, you first have to scroll up or press Ctrl + Home on your keyboard before you can click the Home button.

My question is: would it be a good idea to take the Home button out of this bar and make it always visible, irrespective whether you're scrolling down or not?

I think this would increase the navigation speed quite a lot.

[Edited at 2004-02-16 22:06]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 18:47]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Could you use the Pos1 button? Feb 17, 2004

Hi Henk,
I'm not sure if this works on all browsers, but on MSIE (I use IE 6.0 SP1) all I need to hit is the Pos1 to get back to the top of the page.

HTH, Ralf

Olga Judina
Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:09
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
You can use shortcuts Feb 17, 2004

Ctrl+Home - takes you to the top of the page
Ctrl+End - takes you to the bottom of the page
I think these work in many (if not all) applications.

And just pressing Home or End keys will do the trick

[Edited at 2004-02-17 09:48]

[Edited at 2004-02-17 11:38]

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
logo Feb 17, 2004

Clicking on the Proz logo at the top left hand side of the screen takes you back to the front page.

UPDATE: OK - I just read your question properly. Sorry! My above comment is redundant.

[Edited at 2004-02-17 10:43]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
Italian to English
+ ...
no 'home' link from some site pages Feb 17, 2004

I'm not sure whether this is Henk's problem, but some site pages have no link back to the home page - take profile pages, for example: Click on 'featured Pro' and there is no link back - you have to delete the profile number from the browser address bar.
I'd like to see a 'home' link on profile pages.
Cheers,
Amy

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Pos1 button? Feb 17, 2004

Hello Ralf, I also use IE 6.0 SP1, but don't see a Pos1 button. On which tool bar should I find it?

Litera, I frequently use the [Ctrl] + [Home] shortcut to reach the top, but I have to admit that I didn't know that just "Home" does the trick.

Jeremy, I didn't know that the logo would lead me home. Home sweet home, anyway.

Amy, if i visit a profile page, I always go home by pressing the back key on my keyboard or by clicking the "Home page" button of the In
... See more
Hello Ralf, I also use IE 6.0 SP1, but don't see a Pos1 button. On which tool bar should I find it?

Litera, I frequently use the [Ctrl] + [Home] shortcut to reach the top, but I have to admit that I didn't know that just "Home" does the trick.

Jeremy, I didn't know that the logo would lead me home. Home sweet home, anyway.

Amy, if i visit a profile page, I always go home by pressing the back key on my keyboard or by clicking the "Home page" button of the Internet Explorer (works only if Proz is your Start page), and the Refresh button.

I think there are a lot of possibilities to go to a REFRESHED Proz Home page.

1) Press the back button on your keyboard till you're at the Proz Home page and click on Refresh

If Proz is your Start page:
2) click on the Home page button of your browser and on Refresh

If the IE is in your Start menu and Proz is your Start page:
3) [Alt] + [F4], and [Windows] + [I]

4) Put Proz on top of your favorites, click on it and on Refresh

5) Press [Home] on your keyboard (or press [Page up] some times or scroll up) and click on the Home button or on the logo

I use to press [Home] on my keyboard and to use the Home button of the menu bar (Home |Kudoz | Jobs ...). This works quite well, but I'd like to ask Proz to consider the use of frames, take the logo out of the upper green bar and have the remaining slender (some 8 mm would do) menu bar always on top of the screen, also in profile pages. Perfect cure for homesickness, in my opinion.

Just like in this page (but without the picture, of course)
http://www.woudagemaal.nl/

[Edited at 2004-02-18 11:33]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Pos1=Home Feb 18, 2004

Good morning, Henk,

On your keyboard, actually - looks like "Pos1" is the German equivalent of "Home" on an English keyboard. Sorry for confusion...

Best regards, Ralf

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I already thought so Feb 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

On your keyboard, actually - looks like "Pos1" is the German equivalent of "Home" on an English keyboard. Sorry for confusion...

Best regards, Ralf

Hello Ralf,

no problem, of course. I already thought so, but wondered what was the equivalent of "End". Quite simple, "Ende":
http://www.buessert.de/TRS-80/GermanTRS80/PC_GermanKeyboard_Make_large.gif

By the way, 'Home' or local variants only work if the cursor isn't in a text box.

[Edited at 2004-02-24 14:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A home button which is always visible (B)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »