Sweden
Local time: 04:34
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 13, 2002

Dear all,

We all know that if you translate a 10000 word German text into English, the English text will not be 10000 words.

When calculating our prices we ought to KNOW what the consequences are if we quoute source or target.

We should also try to avoid misunderstandings between us and our clients as much as we can.

Therefore I suggest, that a database is created on the site where we could enter data in order to get avera
... See more
Dear all,

We all know that if you translate a 10000 word German text into English, the English text will not be 10000 words.

When calculating our prices we ought to KNOW what the consequences are if we quoute source or target.

We should also try to avoid misunderstandings between us and our clients as much as we can.

Therefore I suggest, that a database is created on the site where we could enter data in order to get averages for the various language pairs in which we are active.

The databse would contain these fields:

1. Number of Source language Words (NSW)

2. Number of Target language Words (NTW)

Name and date would be generated automatically (you have to be logged in)

The database will, after sufficent number of entries, be a much better negotiating basis between translator and his client than today\'s guesswork.

PROZ.COM - CREATING TRANSPARENCY

With best wishes

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > sve

www.MatsWiman.com

www.proz.com/translator/1749

ProZ.com moderator (deu>sve)

Träsk 201

S-872 97 Skog

Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia

(Hohe Küste/High Coast/Haute Côte/Costa Alta)

Tel: +46-612-54112

Tel: +46-70-5769797 (Handy/mobile)

Fax: +46-612-54182

Fax: +46-612-54181 (eMail)

Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great Mats! Apr 14, 2002

With a word of caution: it would always be orientative. I have a table of equivalences, but some job types simply don\'t square in!

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A petard by which to be hoist. Apr 14, 2002

Do we really want something refractory authors can point to and say \"My text is supposed to have N words in X language!\" after we\'ve spent days or weeks cutting out their verbiage? Some of us have the misfortune of having to handle originals so badly written they boggle the mind, which among other faults say the same things over and over and over. I think we should be leery of setting any kind of expansion/contraction standards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Database for language pair ratios

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »