Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2009

About half of visits to my profile in the field: "from" are described as: Direct Link/Unknown. I am wondering what does it mean - there are not too many links to my profile on the Internet so I guess that most of this visits must originate at Proz.com, but than why are they not marked as for instance Forum, Kudoz, Glossary, etc...?

I suppose that I am not the only person in this situation - would it be possible to do something about this entries so that we could have more full information about the origin of visits?

Cheers
Stanislaw

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Direct Link/Unknown Jun 22, 2009

I see a lot of them (a majority)
"anonymous browsing", I think
put this in google and see
;-D

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-06-22 23:56 GMT]

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
crawlers? Jun 23, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

About half of visits to my profile in the field: "from" are described as: Direct Link/Unknown. I am wondering what does it mean - there are not too many links to my profile on the Internet so I guess that most of this visits must originate at Proz.com, but than why are they not marked as for instance Forum, Kudoz, Glossary, etc...?

I suppose that I am not the only person in this situation - would it be possible to do something about this entries so that we could have more full information about the origin of visits?

Cheers
Stanislaw

You're not alone. I seem to remember 2 other threads that discussed this (and many people began to notice the same situation for their own profiles). But if memory serves me (and maybe it doesn't!), these are web crawlers, which are indexing files for search engines.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not always Jun 23, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Cheers
Stanislaw

You're not alone. I seem to remember 2 other threads that discussed this (and many people began to notice the same situation for their own profiles). But if memory serves me (and maybe it doesn't!), these are web crawlers, which are indexing files for search engines.

Some of them are crawlers, especially which makes hundreds of visits in total or 10 visits a day. But there are human beings who come from completely different or unknown links. Like Patricia pointed out, there has been a few forums about people getting worried about "unknown" visitors.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some of them are crawlers Jun 23, 2009

Especially those with hundreds of previous visits, but I am sure that some of them are from within Proz.com, they are just not marked as such - for example I have several glossaries with over 2000 units altogether but I never had an entry marked glossary. So most likely some of these unknown entries come from glossaries.

I think that there is simply no tracking functions for some areas of Proz what results in this direct links.

Cheers
S

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visitor from: Direct Link/Unknown

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search