Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 15:37
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 10

Hi, everyone,

I hope you're having a great week!

We have just released an update to the Personal glossaries area: you can now export your terms as a plain text file, directly from your ProZ.com account.

You may choose to download a complete glossary, or just a selection of terms. Your export will be a tab-separated CSV file.

Members enjoy unlimited downloads of
... See more
Hi, everyone,

I hope you're having a great week!

We have just released an update to the Personal glossaries area: you can now export your terms as a plain text file, directly from your ProZ.com account.

You may choose to download a complete glossary, or just a selection of terms. Your export will be a tab-separated CSV file.

Members enjoy unlimited downloads of their glossaries, without any restrictions.

Free users can test the feature with a complimentary download.

Ready to give it a try?

Head to My glossaries and click on the glossary you want to download. Click on the "Export terms" button and choose whether you want to download all terms in the glossary, or just the ones you have selected. Your download will start automatically.

We have received a few requests for a feature like this, and I hope this is what you were wishing for! Let me know if you have any questions, feedback, or if there's something else you'd like to see from ProZ.com's glossaries.

And remember, you can always submit a support request » to get in touch with our support team.

Thank you for using the site!

Best,

Andrea
ProZ.com team
Collapse

expressisverbis
Gilbert Nabahire

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:37
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks ProZ.com Team! Apr 10

Andrea Capuselli wrote:

Members enjoy unlimited downloads of their glossaries, without any restrictions.

Free users can test the feature with a complimentary download.

This is a great idea!
I've already tried it and exported my law glossary in my language pairs.
It's not a big deal, but when exporting, there are letters and accents like the "ç", or the tilde "~" in Portuguese that appear different.
It doesn't cause me too much trouble.
The important thing is to use this new feature that you have worked on and made available at the request of the members.
I like it!
Thank you again

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you for letting me know! Apr 10

expressisverbis wrote:

It's not a big deal, but when exporting, there are letters and accents like the "ç", or the tilde "~" in Portuguese that appear different.

Hi, expressisverbis,

Thank you so much for taking the time to test, and for letting me know. I'll pass this onto the development team, and we'll see what's happening there.

Thank you for your support of the site, and have a lovely rest of your day!

expressisverbis

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Opening CSV files with Excel Apr 12

Hi, to anyone keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks to expressisverbis' kind help, we figured out that the issue was with Excel, which doesn't get along very well with CSV files.

We are still trying to make sure these instructions work on most versions of Excel, before we go ahead and add them to the site FAQ, but I believe the following steps should allow you to open these CSV glossaries on there without issue:

1. Open Excel, rather than the CSV file it
... See more
Hi, to anyone keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks to expressisverbis' kind help, we figured out that the issue was with Excel, which doesn't get along very well with CSV files.

We are still trying to make sure these instructions work on most versions of Excel, before we go ahead and add them to the site FAQ, but I believe the following steps should allow you to open these CSV glossaries on there without issue:

1. Open Excel, rather than the CSV file itself, and head to the Data menu.
2. Under Get External Data, click From Text.
3. Select the CSV file for your glossary.
4. Choose the Delimited option.
5. Set the character encoding of the File Origin to 65001: Unicode (UTF-8) from the drop-down list.
6. Choose the delimiter: in our case, it is Tab or Tabulation.
7. If given the option to select a string delimiter —which can me a single quotation, two, or none— choose none.
8. Click to move on to the next step.
9. If they are set to a different data format, select all columns and set Column data format to Text.
10. Confirm and finish.

Opening the file with your plain text reader (the Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on a Mac) should work without a hitch, and other spreadsheet processors such as Libre Office or Google Docs can open them as well, but Excel can be a little finicky for CSVs, so we'll make sure to document these instructions once we're sure they're the best possible way to go about it.

Each CAT tool and terminology management software has its own steps, but you should be able to import your glossaries following the same principle:

1. Set delimiter to "tab" or "tabulation"
2. Set string delimiter to empty, or "none"
3. Set the character encoding to "UTF-8" or "65001: Unicode"

If you test it our with your own glossaries, let me know how it works out for you!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and happy translating!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New member benefit: download your ProZ.com glossaries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »