Thread poster: Nicole Schnell

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
English to German
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Half an hour ago I received a Mozilla Thunderbird update notice. "Two updates available," said Windows 7 on my 64bit laptop. Well, of course, I thought, and initialized the process. I thought that the message in the window was odd though, because Mozilla Thunderbird never calls itself "Mozilla Thunderbird Updates". I clicked OK anyway, and all of the sudden all virus alerts started flashing like crazy, and I could stop and remove: "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tracur.Y"

Has anyone experienced a similar occurrence?

Best regards,

Nicole Schnell

Direct link Reply with quote

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:55
English to Polish
+ ...
once Aug 18, 2011

Some time ago all of the sudden I had a message on my laptop's screen: "Serious virus threat!! Do you want to protect your computer? Yes. No" The message looked like a Windows' message. Unfortunately I was stupid enough (it was late and I was tired), and in panic I clicked "yes". And then I couldn't get rid of that virus/trojan (which I downloaded by clicking 'yes'). Luckily, with the help of a smart IT guy I didn't loose any data and restored my laptop back to normal. A lesson learnt.
Ewa

[Edited at 2011-08-18 12:53 GMT]

Silvia Barra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, both Aug 18, 2011

I experienced these two viruses just this week, despite anti-virus well functioning.
I had to restart my laptop in temporary modality and to create a reset point before the virus came.
The virus in the form of anti-virus was very hard to defeat, since it closed and blocked all programs on laptop.

Silvia

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was wondering Aug 20, 2011

Because this available update was shown on the system bar, related to my email program Thunderbird, and when I clicked on the balloon, all hell broke loose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla Thunderbird update a Trojan?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search