MultiTerm termbase settings for forbidden terms?
Thread poster: Ulrike Michiels
Ulrike Michiels
Ulrike Michiels  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 27, 2013

I would appreciate your advice on the following:

We are a translation agency using MultiTerm 2011 and have term recognition enabled for the translations. In the termbase, there are terms from different subjects/departments. We need to make sure that the translator uses the term from the correct subject/department for a respective translation.
Example: The term is saved in MultiTerm with the subject „engineering“, but the translation is a marketing text.

How
... See more
I would appreciate your advice on the following:

We are a translation agency using MultiTerm 2011 and have term recognition enabled for the translations. In the termbase, there are terms from different subjects/departments. We need to make sure that the translator uses the term from the correct subject/department for a respective translation.
Example: The term is saved in MultiTerm with the subject „engineering“, but the translation is a marketing text.

How do you suggest we set up this scenario? How would you proceed?
Collapse

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
The fields which display are... Mar 27, 2013

In our set-up, which I think is the default, the only fields that display directly within Workbench are:

Status
Usage Register
Category

In the absence of a comprehensive reply from wiser heads, I'd say that you should put the context information in one of those fields.

Edit: I daresay it depends on the version of Trados too.

[Edited at 2013-03-27 10:39 GMT]

Ulrike Michiels
Ulrike Michiels  Identity Verified
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I need to make myself clearer Mar 27, 2013

We use MultiTerm 2011 in combination with Studio 2011 (term recognition). We use user-defined fields in the termbase (not the default). We have set up the hitlist settings in the term recognition window in such a way that the fields are visible. Due to the verification settings, the translator gets an error message when he uses a forbidden term (i.e in this case: a wrong subject).
What other/better scenario can you propose?

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
Well... Mar 27, 2013

That sounds like a perfectly adequate set-up to me already. We're not using Studio quite yet, so I can't really add anything, I'm afraid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm termbase settings for forbidden terms?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »