Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jul 8, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I frequently running into the same problem: My source text looks like this (please excuse me for using descriptive text for tags and tab stops, I don't quite know how to represent them better in the forum):

[tag]1.1[tag] [tabstop]

[tag]1.2[tag] [tabstop]

[tag]1.3[tag] [tabstop]

Now I copy source to target for segment #1 and confirm. Auto-propagation kicks in, but the corresponding segments i
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I frequently running into the same problem: My source text looks like this (please excuse me for using descriptive text for tags and tab stops, I don't quite know how to represent them better in the forum):

[tag]1.1[tag] [tabstop]

[tag]1.2[tag] [tabstop]

[tag]1.3[tag] [tabstop]

Now I copy source to target for segment #1 and confirm. Auto-propagation kicks in, but the corresponding segments in the target text look like this:

[tag]1.1[tag] [tabstop]

[tag]1.2[tag]

[tag]1.3[tag]

As you can see, segment #1 does contain the tab stop, the others don't. All segments are confirmed.

This means that I have to manually add the missing tab stop to all subsequent segments, which can mean a lot of work (as there usually are a lot of similar segments).

What's going wrong here? Am I missing any settings?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you provide a little more info? Jul 8, 2014

Hi Erik,

What kind of filetype is this and is the only string per line? I'm struggling here because normally all these tags would be moved external anyway.

On the forum post and having to use square brackets : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-HZ I see this so often I decided to explain why

Regards

Paul

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DOCX Jul 9, 2014

Dear Paul,

This happens with docx files. As I'm encountering this regularly, I suspect it has something to do with my TM settings.

Here's a screenshot:

Thanks a lot for looking into this, and also for the explanation re. brackets etc.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Updated screenshot]

[
... See more
Dear Paul,

This happens with docx files. As I'm encountering this regularly, I suspect it has something to do with my TM settings.

Here's a screenshot:

Thanks a lot for looking into this, and also for the explanation re. brackets etc.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Updated screenshot]

[Bearbeitet am 2014-07-09 07:23 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What kind of tags... Jul 9, 2014

... are these Erik? I'd just like to try and repro exactly what you have but you are minimising the information for me here.

Thanks

Paul

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated Jul 9, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... are these Erik? I'd just like to try and repro exactly what you have but you are minimising the information for me here.

Thanks

Paul

Sorry Paul, that was indeed stupid. I've updated the screenshot in my post above.

Thanks again!

Erik

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Ok.... Jul 9, 2014

Hi Erik,

Can you email me a docx with just this bit in it? I cannot make Studio keep these tags inside the segment at all so I never see them. I also tried changing the segmentation rules in case you have some funny rules that all these tags to be retained in the file... but I can't.

Alternatively can you try opening your file again with a clean TM that uses default rules and see if you have the same problem.

If you do then seeing your file will help, if
... See more
Hi Erik,

Can you email me a docx with just this bit in it? I cannot make Studio keep these tags inside the segment at all so I never see them. I also tried changing the segmentation rules in case you have some funny rules that all these tags to be retained in the file... but I can't.

Alternatively can you try opening your file again with a clean TM that uses default rules and see if you have the same problem.

If you do then seeing your file will help, if you don't then we need to look at your TM I think.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Email address? Jul 9, 2014

Dear Paul,

I've opened the docx again with a clean TM. Here, tab stops will not cause a segmentation, so for example segment 65 to 67 in the screenshot will all be in one segment. The tags are still there, though.

I'll be happy to send you the files. Which email address should I be using?

Kind regards,
Erik

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You can send them... Jul 9, 2014

... to [email protected]

I may not respond for a while though... just about to board a plane.

Sounds file related then as my effort to mirror what you have does separate these segments even with default segmentation rules.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-07-09 08:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 forgets tab stops during autopropagation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »