Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:22
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Feb 10, 2015

I would very much like to see a few improvements to the Verify function:

1) Take into consideration if a tag is a format tag or not when reporting double spaces.

I have just finished a project with quite a few hundred warnings, of which only a tiny majority actually had to be corrected. The Verify procedure takes quite some time already, and I would have saved at least 1 hour if it hadn't reported all these false positives.

2) Inconsistent translations: ... See more
I would very much like to see a few improvements to the Verify function:

1) Take into consideration if a tag is a format tag or not when reporting double spaces.

I have just finished a project with quite a few hundred warnings, of which only a tiny majority actually had to be corrected. The Verify procedure takes quite some time already, and I would have saved at least 1 hour if it hadn't reported all these false positives.

2) Inconsistent translations:
- Show the inconsistent segments in two windows, so that it would be easy to see exactly what the discrepancy between the two translations are
- Show the status of each of the translations
- Make it easy to actually correct the wrong translation on the fly, instead of having the leave Verify and going back to the wrong segment to correct it. As it is, one may have to search for the source to find it, as the segment number isn't always a sufficient indicator (se explanation below).

Expanded explanation for bullet 2:
Today, when Verify finds a discrepancy, it only says something like "Inconsistent segment. See segment 85".
There are two problems with that:
1) When I open all the documents for translation in one window, segment 85 may be in a totally different file. If there are 100 documents, there would be 100 segments with no. 85. Therefore, the verify window has to be closed, and the source segment searched for. Then I take a screen dump of the segment and paste it into Word so that I can easily see what the difference is. This is time consuming and unnecessary, since Verify has to know the wording of the discrepancy already.
2) I am asked not to correct errors in 100% matches and Context Matches. Having an indication of the status of both segments helps, so I can see if I can just ignore the error or if it has to be corrected in either segment.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:22
French to German
+ ...
Did you post this on ideas.sdl.com? Feb 11, 2015

Roy

If you want your suggestions to be heard, I suggest that you post them on ideas.sdl.com. This site is monitored by SDL and chances are better that you might be heard.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2014: Wishlist for Verify function

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »