"Update from External Review" does not update..
Thread poster: Hiroshi Yamanaka
Hiroshi Yamanaka
Hiroshi Yamanaka  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:03
English to Japanese
May 8, 2015

Hello,

I have a trados 2014 freelance plus on Windows 8.1 Pro and need help on "update from external review". I have been struggling to update a sdlxliff file from a reviewed .docx file. Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected. When I do the batch process for Update from External Review, it simply does not update anything from the reviewed documents even though there are no errors.

I have also used "SDLXLIFF Converter" for old method but the
... See more
Hello,

I have a trados 2014 freelance plus on Windows 8.1 Pro and need help on "update from external review". I have been struggling to update a sdlxliff file from a reviewed .docx file. Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected. When I do the batch process for Update from External Review, it simply does not update anything from the reviewed documents even though there are no errors.

I have also used "SDLXLIFF Converter" for old method but the result was the same; not errors, but does not update anything...

I have already read the similar posting, Unable to update from External Review, but this did not help either.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:03
French to German
+ ...
Were the target segments populated on export? May 8, 2015

Hiroshi

I might be asking the obvious, but just to make sure. When you exported your SDLXLIFF for external review, was it already completely translated, meaning "were all target segments populated"?

I ask this because segments with an empty target will not be reimported by this function, only segments that already had a target content.

And, what do you mean by "Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected.?
You should not accept
... See more
Hiroshi

I might be asking the obvious, but just to make sure. When you exported your SDLXLIFF for external review, was it already completely translated, meaning "were all target segments populated"?

I ask this because segments with an empty target will not be reimported by this function, only segments that already had a target content.

And, what do you mean by "Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected.?
You should not accept the changes made in the exported Word file, otherwise Studio is not going to show you what the reviewer has changed.

Walter
Collapse

Hiroshi Yamanaka
Taiwan
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
All the segments are confirmed. May 8, 2015

Hello, Walter.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, certainly all the segments are confirmed and translation progress is 100%.

For "Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected", I was told by my client that I need to accept/reject all the track changes before update. So, I did those and proceed with the update.
Just now, I have also tried to update with the reviewed .docx file without accepting/rejecting any changes; however, the re
... See more
Hello, Walter.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, certainly all the segments are confirmed and translation progress is 100%.

For "Track changes in the reviewed file has been all accepted/rejected", I was told by my client that I need to accept/reject all the track changes before update. So, I did those and proceed with the update.
Just now, I have also tried to update with the reviewed .docx file without accepting/rejecting any changes; however, the result was the same that it does nothing to the original file even though there are no errors.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Various possible causes May 8, 2015

Hiroshi

If you accept the changes in the SDLXLIFF document after having imported the external review document, that is ok. I just wanted to make sure that you did not accept all changes in the bilingual WORD document .review) before you reimport it into Studio.

Did you open the returned review document in Word to see how it looks? Can you see the changes that have been made and can you also see the special purple tags in the segments?

Did the reviewer use t
... See more
Hiroshi

If you accept the changes in the SDLXLIFF document after having imported the external review document, that is ok. I just wanted to make sure that you did not accept all changes in the bilingual WORD document .review) before you reimport it into Studio.

Did you open the returned review document in Word to see how it looks? Can you see the changes that have been made and can you also see the special purple tags in the segments?

Did the reviewer use the same Word format (.DOC vs .DOCX) as you used when you created the review document? Using different WORD formats can cause problems.

Another thing you need to make sure is that you have not made any changes to your SDLXLIFF since you exported the review document. In case you made changes and then try to re-import the external review document, it will fail.

I suggest you check these points first.

Walter
Collapse

Hiroshi Yamanaka
Taiwan
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Checked the possible cause May 9, 2015

>Did you open the returned review document in Word to see how it looks? Can you see the changes that have been made and can you also see the special purple tags in the segments?

Yes, it looks just as you described.

>Did the reviewer use the same Word format (.DOC vs .DOCX) as you used when you created the review document? Using different WORD formats can cause problems.

Yes, .DOCX, and file name is also the same as original.

>Another thing you
... See more
>Did you open the returned review document in Word to see how it looks? Can you see the changes that have been made and can you also see the special purple tags in the segments?

Yes, it looks just as you described.

>Did the reviewer use the same Word format (.DOC vs .DOCX) as you used when you created the review document? Using different WORD formats can cause problems.

>Another thing you need to make sure is that you have not made any changes to your SDLXLIFF since you exported the review document. In case you made changes and then try to re-import the external review document, it will fail.

I have not make any changes to the original SDLXLIFF.

[Edited at 2015-05-09 02:18 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Using different Word formats May 9, 2015

Hiroshi Yamanaka wrote:
Did the reviewer use the same Word format (.DOC vs .DOCX) as you used when you created the review document? Using different WORD formats can cause problems.

Saving the DOCX file as DOC and working on it in another version of MS Word is not a problem, as long as the final file is saved as DOCX and it is saved into that format by Word 2007 or newer. Do you have Word 2007 or newer, and did you save the DOCX files by that version of Word?

Another thing that I would personally try would be to export a fresh DOCX from the original SDLXLIFF file, then open that file in MS Word and replace its target column with the target column from the translator's document, and save it, and then try to import that document.

[Edited at 2015-05-09 18:29 GMT]

Hiroshi Yamanaka
Taiwan
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Exporting fresh .docx and replace column worked good May 10, 2015

Hello, Samuel

Thank you very much for writing.

I do have word 2010 and I did save files by using this version.

Another thing that I would personally try would be to export a fresh DOCX from the original SDLXLIFF file, then open that file in MS Word and replace its target column with the target column from the translator's document, and save it, and then try to import that document.

For some reason,
... See more
Hello, Samuel

Thank you very much for writing.

I do have word 2010 and I did save files by using this version.

For some reason, this method took care of my problem.

Thank you very much.
However, I still don't know why this happened...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Update from External Review" does not update..

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »