Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 14:25
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2006

Dear all,

I work with Trados Freelance 7.0.0.615 running on Windows XP.

I have installed Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 8 (Version 8.00.000.121) on my laptop, because (a) there is more space available there and (b) I don't use Dragon all that often.

I am currently working on a translation in PPT form and have been using Dragon for this. It works OK, but there are a couple of aspects that are slowing things down substantially.

(1) I can't s
... See more
Dear all,

I work with Trados Freelance 7.0.0.615 running on Windows XP.

I have installed Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 8 (Version 8.00.000.121) on my laptop, because (a) there is more space available there and (b) I don't use Dragon all that often.

I am currently working on a translation in PPT form and have been using Dragon for this. It works OK, but there are a couple of aspects that are slowing things down substantially.

(1) I can't see any way of making shortcuts for "Translate to Fuzzy" and "Save and move to next sentence" - in Word I use Alt-C and Alt-V respectively, but would like to be able to use voice recognition for this rather than having to reach for the mouse.

(2) Every line automatically begins with a small letter, which is very annoying. Is there any way around this apart from saying "Cap" before each sentence?

Obviously, these are by no means urgent problems, but if any can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Vocola Feb 26, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:

(1) I can't see any way of making shortcuts for "Translate to Fuzzy" and "Save and move to next sentence" - in Word I use Alt-C and Alt-V respectively, but would like to be able to use voice recognition for this rather than having to reach for the mouse.

Ian

Try Vocola. You can easily add any kind of voice command to use with Dragon and Trados.
http://home.comcast.net/~Vocola/

There are some smaller hickups when compiling the command file (at least for me). And I also found that some commands for key shortcuts work in German but not in English... But apart from that, very useful. It basically adds the Dragon Professional funcionality to the Preferred version.

Ian Winick wrote:
(2) Every line automatically begins with a small letter, which is very annoying. Is there any way around this apart from saying "Cap" before each sentence?

Ian

Not that I know of. But then you have to dictate punctuation marks as well. I got used to it very quickly.

I actually added a voice command in Vocola to capitalize the first word afterwords if I forgot to say the magic word, although the "cap" method is faster.

HTH!
Heike

[Edited at 2006-02-26 16:35]

[Edited at 2006-02-26 17:09]

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 21:25
Japanese to English
If you have Dragon Pro... Feb 27, 2006

The professional version of Dragon makes it a fairly simple matter to control Tag Editor. In fact, with a little tweaking, Tag Editor is almost pleasant to use (something I never thought I'd say about that program!).

The "advanced scripting" function will let you send any combination of keystrokes you want quickly, easily, and more-or-less reliably. Look up "SendDragonKeys" and "SendKeys" in the help file for information on how to put keystrokes together.

To get an auto
... See more
The professional version of Dragon makes it a fairly simple matter to control Tag Editor. In fact, with a little tweaking, Tag Editor is almost pleasant to use (something I never thought I'd say about that program!).

The "advanced scripting" function will let you send any combination of keystrokes you want quickly, easily, and more-or-less reliably. Look up "SendDragonKeys" and "SendKeys" in the help file for information on how to put keystrokes together.

To get an automatic capital at the beginning of a unit, you need to use:

HeardWord "\Cap"

at the end of your macro. "HeardWord" can be used to call common built-in Dragon commands, like "cap that" and "select that".

Here's an example of a macro that will close the current unit, move to the next unit (ie., press alt and keypad +) and make sure the first word is capitalized:

Sub Main
SendKeys "%{Pad+}"
HeardWord "\Cap"
End Sub

You can do the same for any keystroke combination Tag Editor makes available and with a little ingenuity you can put together some fairly useful commands. One of my favorite enhancements keeps the program moving through units everytime it turns up a 100% match. I've also put together commands that make handling all of those #$%^ tags much, much easier.

One quirk to be aware of is that, in my experience, Tag Editor will often not respond to a DNS macro if the mouse is located outside of the Tag Editor window, even if Tag Editor has the focus. For example, I have a largish monitor, so I open up Tag Editor on one side of the screen and PowerPoint on the other, allowing me to follow along with the presentation as I'm translating. If the mouse should drift over the PowerPoint window, DNS will go through the motions of executing the macro but Tag Editor won't respond. Moving the mouse back fixes the problem. (Something for your "strange but true" file.)

And of course, Tag Editor isn't "Select and Say" enabled so, as I'm sure you've found out, Dragon's editing capabilities in it are not very good.

Still, it's better than typing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor with Dragon

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »