Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2007

I have two questions:
1. How long can a pc be switch-on without interruption before the Hard-disk crashes. After 12 hours my h.d. starts to make a singing noise.

2. I've installed Windows Media Player 11 under Windows XPSP2. Media player is embedded in a couple of broadcasters' streaming services. Where there were no problems with Media Player 10, I get a purple screen and only sound. Does anybody have any solution for this problem.

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:38
French to English
replace the HD Jul 17, 2007

Williamson wrote:

my h.d. starts to make a singing noise.

Maybe I'm paranoid about data loss, but I think it's high-time to replace the hard drive. The singing could be a bearing going bad and if the bearing seizes, no magic can get your data back.

Bruce

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Gotta remote hard drive Willamson? Jul 17, 2007

I hope so! Sounds like now's the time to backup.

Chris

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
One step back... Jul 17, 2007

Williamson wrote:

2. I've installed Windows Media Player 11 under Windows XPSP2. Media player is embedded in a couple of broadcasters' streaming services. Where there were no problems with Media Player 10, I get a purple screen and only sound. Does anybody have any solution for this problem.

I tried MP11 also, but didn't like it at all, so I backtracked to WMP10 and things are going well. You could try the same.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Media Player 11

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »