"Brains of bilingual readers repress negative words" according to study

This discussion belongs to Translation news » ""Brains of bilingual readers repress negative words" according to study".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Matthew McCarthy
Matthew McCarthy  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:48
French to English
+ ...
Negative speech May 14, 2012

I would add that people may not appreciate the impact saying of a swear word in their non-native tongue, as well. I think it is not uncommon, for example, for non-native English speakers to toss the f-word around casually.

Sharon Polson
Sharon Polson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
French to English
+ ...
Agree May 14, 2012

I agree with the above, French is my second language, the use of French swear words, although I perfectly understand their meaning, do not shock me in the same way as the equivalent words in English. I have heard bilingual friends say the same thing, so the above article doesn't surprise me in the least. On the other hand, my son who has spoken and heard both languages since birth is as shocked at swear words in both languages, which would also seem to be logical.

[Edited at 2012-05-14 21
... See more
I agree with the above, French is my second language, the use of French swear words, although I perfectly understand their meaning, do not shock me in the same way as the equivalent words in English. I have heard bilingual friends say the same thing, so the above article doesn't surprise me in the least. On the other hand, my son who has spoken and heard both languages since birth is as shocked at swear words in both languages, which would also seem to be logical.

[Edited at 2012-05-14 21:46 GMT]
Collapse

Sophie Devidze
Sophie Devidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:48
Member (2012)
English to Georgian
+ ...
"people are more comfortable talking about embarrassing topics in a second language" May 15, 2012

Thomas Mann beleived people can talk freely about love (an embarrassing topic ) only in foreign language. I have noticed that people are more open and socialize better when speaking second language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Brains of bilingual readers repress negative words" according to study

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »