Local time: 11:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 24, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has some experience in setting a VPN under Win XP with Zone Alarm active. I am afraid I have some problem doing this.

I set a VPN for entering the corporate intra network from home. I provided the domain name and added this VPN to Zone Alarm trusted zones. So far so good.

When trying to connect to the vpn server I enter my username/password (when prompted) and get the "connecting" message. After some time another message
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has some experience in setting a VPN under Win XP with Zone Alarm active. I am afraid I have some problem doing this.

I set a VPN for entering the corporate intra network from home. I provided the domain name and added this VPN to Zone Alarm trusted zones. So far so good.

When trying to connect to the vpn server I enter my username/password (when prompted) and get the "connecting" message. After some time another message appears: connection could not be established.

The administrator of the network to which I am trying to connect told me that he does not see my computer trying to login.

Moreover, my Zone Alarm does not detect any outgoing activity which means that most probably I have missed something in the settings. Is there any VPN guru out there who could help me with an advice?
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you using a router? Dec 24, 2006

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know from personal experience that a router can represent an obstacle.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi John Dec 24, 2006

No, I don't. I have a cable modem.

BTW, the destination server can be pinged OK.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
HP Online classes Dec 25, 2006

Hi,

Why don't you search in HP Online classes

http://www.hp.com/united-states/hho/classes/index.html?jumpid=re_R602_mktg/hpcom/split/oc

Recently they had something about a similar topic and it's free.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ritu

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Allow me to ask Dec 25, 2006

Have you done the obvious -- disbale ZA and run VPN to help rule out other possibilities and nail the issue down to ZA?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I did Dec 25, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
Why don't you search in HP Online classes

Of course, I did. And also tried many things suggested at such sites. It did not help.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure, I did Dec 25, 2006

franksf wrote:

Have you done the obvious -- disbale ZA and run VPN to help rule out other possibilities and nail the issue down to ZA?

There was no connection either. And I don't think that ZA is the only 'guilty' or 'guilty' at all. But it is a good indicator of network activity. As I stated in my first posting, "Zone Alarm does not detect any outgoing activity which means that most probably I have missed something in the settings".

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
VPN settings Dec 27, 2006

"... I have missed something in the settings."

I have not run VPN for a long time by now, what are the settings -- encryption method, key length, key non-expiration period, ... , vpn is at the ip level not the ports, you are right ZA probably should not matter. Is there a way to generate some logs during the running of the client connection? Running the vpn client in a verbose way and send the output to your vpn server admin? Possible to dump WinXP networking and system logs to
... See more
"... I have missed something in the settings."

I have not run VPN for a long time by now, what are the settings -- encryption method, key length, key non-expiration period, ... , vpn is at the ip level not the ports, you are right ZA probably should not matter. Is there a way to generate some logs during the running of the client connection? Running the vpn client in a verbose way and send the output to your vpn server admin? Possible to dump WinXP networking and system logs to a plain text file?
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Problem solved Dec 27, 2006

Thank you everybody, the problem has been solved by now. There were two different issues, one at my side (one of the protocols was missing), the other at the side of the intranet (the network admin made a mistake while registering my username).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting a VPN while using Zone Alarm

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »