De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Zwitserland
Local time: 16:38
Engels naar Arabisch
+ ...
May 6, 2005

I am having problems typing arabic numbers, the only thing i get is english numbers, does anyone know how can i enable arabic numbers?

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabisch
+ ...
MS Word? May 6, 2005

Ziad Marzouka wrote:

the only thing i get is english numbers

That is a miraculous feat, since there are no known English numbers.

Joking aside, it appears that you are having difficulty configuring your word processing software to display Hindi numerals, as opposed to Arabic numerals.

When posting a technical question, it is necessary to include the details of your particular situation so that we can provide you with relevant help. Are you using MS Word? Which versions?

I use MS Word 2003 (part of Office 2003). Here is the procedure:

Go to Tools/Options. Select the “Complex Scripts” tab. The bottom portion of the tab is entitled “General.” You will find a setting option for numerals. From the drop-down menu, select “context.” With this setting, MS Word will display Hindi numerals when the context is Arabic – and Arabic numerals when the context is a European language, such as English.

This is the setting most useful for an English-Arabic translator or a bilingual person because it automatically switches to the proper numeral style. It is unfortunate that MS Word programmers did not choose this setting as the default setting. Maybe some day they will have a flash of genius.

When you send your translated document to your client, they may not be able to display Hindi numerals on their computers, because their software has not been properly configured. But, of course, now you can guide them to do that. They will be grateful.

Remember that when you translate a document for a North African country, insert your numbers with the language selected as “English” so you can get the desired Arabic numerals.

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Zwitserland
Local time: 16:38
Engels naar Arabisch
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thanks a lot ! May 6, 2005

Thanks a lot! it works just fine now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

typing arabic numbers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »