Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Pricing per line
Thread poster: engrus
gsm0002
gsm0002
English to Chinese
+ ...
for wording of English-Chinese Sep 9, 2003

Usually for 1000 English words, there will be about 1600-1800 Chinese words to get things understood. So, we make pricing as per 1000 Chinese or English. Seldom with a concept of line price. Eastern language is a little different from Western style.

eurodep
eurodep
Local time: 09:54
English
pricing per target line Oct 22, 2003

One question related to this, what about a client that wants pricing 'per line in the target language'? All the math aside, (which I fully understand is characters with spaces / 55 = lines), but a client wants to see the quote in target lines? Doesn't this naturally beg me to be as long winded as possible? Doesn't make sense, anyone with experience?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
What? Dec 11, 2003

You can use a bigger monitor

is no a matter of size but of times you have to use your fingers.

If you tap 55 times your keyboard than you get 1 point!

Carolyn Denoncourt wrote:

There is a problem with saying a line has about 55 characters. Formerly this worked well with typewriter text, but with word processing today, a font can be proportionally spaced and fit sometimes 25% more characters per line. I suggest that if you must give a price per line, you state the font that will be used in the final text which will be priced by the line. A Courrier font may be best because it is not proportionally spaced and will be the most consistent from one line to the next.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
And what about Trados analysis? Dec 11, 2003

How can I use the Trados analysis to quote in lines in the target language?

ddepman wrote:

One question related to this, what about a client that wants pricing 'per line in the target language'? All the math aside, (which I fully understand is characters with spaces / 55 = lines), but a client wants to see the quote in target lines? Doesn't this naturally beg me to be as long winded as possible? Doesn't make sense, anyone with experience?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
James Heppe-Smith[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing per line

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »