Self-employed health insurance?
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:11
French to English
Nov 12, 2002

[Note: I posted this on the Comparison Shopping forum before I knew what the forum profiles were. I\'ve had no replies, so I hope this is a better match.] I\'m not happy with my health plan, and I want to find a decent one as soon as possible. Can anyone recommend a provider? I looked into the company promoted by ATA, but found the rates a bit stiff. I live in Texas, where rates are high, so I\'m interested in national plans too. Thanks.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Also interested Nov 13, 2002

I am also interested in this. Thanx for posting this question.

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
Had bad experiences, looking for something better Nov 13, 2002

Right now, we only have a discount card (www.careentree.com) which basically gives us the same rates the insurance companies get. Besides that, we\'re putting money away for emergiencies while shopping for major medical. Health insurance premiums have really sky rocketed these past few years!

We used to have health insurance with one of those companies that offer cheap insurance for the sel
... See more
Right now, we only have a discount card (www.careentree.com) which basically gives us the same rates the insurance companies get. Besides that, we\'re putting money away for emergiencies while shopping for major medical. Health insurance premiums have really sky rocketed these past few years!

We used to have health insurance with one of those companies that offer cheap insurance for the self employed, but we found out the hard way that it was basically just \"window dressing\". We ended up having to pay a lot for health care PLUS premiums and co-pays. What really helped us make up our minds about cancellling, was when they said that the premium was going up from abt $380 for the whole family to about *gasp* $1,200!!

I would love to get info about any good plans out there, preferrably major medical.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:11
German to English
+ ...
Blue Cross Blue Shield Nov 17, 2002

I insure a family of 3 for $390/month. We have no pre-existing conditions, and this includes maternity coverage. This may be steep, but BCBS is reachable by phone when I need to clarify something (and I always talk to real people relatively quickly), is accepted almost anywhere, and has good coverage. I chose a PPO so that we would have more flexibility in choosing providers. All in all, I feel that I get decent benefits for what I pay.

Laura Blijleven
Laura Blijleven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
English to Dutch
Considered medical savings account? Nov 20, 2002

Hi,

I have a medical savings account and rather like it. It\'s an IRA-like account where I get to deposit $2400 per year. If I need the money for medical bills, I may use it tax free. If not, it stays there until I retire like in any IRA. It is linked to a very limited Blue Shield medical plan that\'s only $124/month for 2 people (30 and 39 years old, they go by the youngest which is cool) with a *gasp* $3400 deductible. Until you reach this deductible, they pay only around
... See more
Hi,

I have a medical savings account and rather like it. It\'s an IRA-like account where I get to deposit $2400 per year. If I need the money for medical bills, I may use it tax free. If not, it stays there until I retire like in any IRA. It is linked to a very limited Blue Shield medical plan that\'s only $124/month for 2 people (30 and 39 years old, they go by the youngest which is cool) with a *gasp* $3400 deductible. Until you reach this deductible, they pay only around 20%. I unfortunately had an accident this year and have used $3000 of the $4000 I had saved us po far, but I figure that was still partially Uncle Sam chipping in, and ended up being around $200-$250/month like other health plans. Now if only I can avoid those pesky mountain biking accidents for the next couple of years, I\'ll retire in style
Collapse

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:11
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your ideas! Jan 3, 2003

I have contacted BCBS and am waiting to hear back from them. I also like the idea of the medical savings account. Are you held to a minimum investment each year?
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Self-employed health insurance?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »