UK: Anyone heard of the new "Chartered Translator" diploma?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:43
English to French
+ ...
Jul 1, 2004

I run a small agency in London and I am myself an English -> French translator.

Since I have no formal training as a translator, I recently called the three main professional bodies (IOL, ITI and ATC) to find out about two points:

- what sort of value did their membership offer in terms of “guarantee” for the client (i.e. was the membership giving a clear indication of someone's professional abilities)

- how do they assess the skills of their new member
... See more
I run a small agency in London and I am myself an English -> French translator.

Since I have no formal training as a translator, I recently called the three main professional bodies (IOL, ITI and ATC) to find out about two points:

- what sort of value did their membership offer in terms of “guarantee” for the client (i.e. was the membership giving a clear indication of someone's professional abilities)

- how do they assess the skills of their new members (exam, diploma, years of experience, …)

The IOL seems to have more stringent standards (one needs to pass their in-house exam), which seems more reasonable than granting a membership to anyone willing to pay an annual fee.

Now, the IOL person told me there should be a new “Chartered Translator” diploma available in the next two years, and that the IOL should be the body in charge of delivering such a diploma. The hint was, if you pass your exam and get your membership with the IOL now, you may automatically gain this Chartered Translator status, which would be, according to them, the only recognised professional qualification.

Does anyone know about this diploma? What would you recommend as a professional membership? Are they really worth the money?

Thank you!
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
IoL as chartered institution/organization Jul 1, 2004

I think the information was that the IoL has applied/bid or however you may say to be a chartered institute like the ones for accountants, etc which gives it a different status.
I think the plans are going ahead, I have heard, and once the IoL is a chartered organization if you pass their exams you will become a chartered translator(plus need to become a member).
There is no such an exam but you would become a chartered translator once you have passed their exams and become one of th
... See more
I think the information was that the IoL has applied/bid or however you may say to be a chartered institute like the ones for accountants, etc which gives it a different status.
I think the plans are going ahead, I have heard, and once the IoL is a chartered organization if you pass their exams you will become a chartered translator(plus need to become a member).
There is no such an exam but you would become a chartered translator once you have passed their exams and become one of their members (once they have got this chartered status).
Sorry, difficult to explain. Futuristic kind of thing.

[Edited at 2004-07-01 13:59]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
German to English
+ ...
UK: Anyone heard of the new "Chartered Translator" diploma? Jul 1, 2004

BabelBear wrote:

The IOL seems to have more stringent standards (one needs to pass their in-house exam), which seems more reasonable than granting a membership to anyone willing to pay an annual fee.

This is not correct. You cannot become a Member of the ITI simply by "paying an annual fee". The requirements for ITI membership are generally regarded as being substantially stricter than those for IoL membership.

- what sort of value did their membership offer in terms of ?guarantee? for the client (i.e. was the membership giving a clear indication of someone's professional abilities)

Neither the ITI nor the IoL can give a "guarantee" for clients, but the ITI's membership requirements are geared much more specifically towards assessing candidates' ability to translate under real-world conditions. Also, if a customer has a grievance against a translator, he or she can take it up with the institute of which the translator is a member.

Now, the IOL person told me there should be a new ?Chartered Translator? diploma available

This is also not correct. "Chartered Translator" is not a diploma. It is a category of membership for IoL members who meet certain criteria.

The hint was, if you pass your exam and get your membership with the IOL now, you may automatically gain this Chartered Translator status, which would be, according to them, the only recognised professional qualification.

Again, this is not correct. As in most countries, the translation profession in the UK is open to anyone, whatever their qualifications. That is not going to change with the advent of IoL chartered status. There are many indications of competence and professional status, such as IoL or ITI membership, academic translation diplomas, etc., but the status of these "qualifications" varies among the buying public.

What would you recommend as a professional membership? Are they really worth the money?

Depends what you're looking for. If you just want some letters after your name to prove that you're a professional, probably not.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK: Anyone heard of the new "Chartered Translator" diploma?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »