gerarda mc kenna
gerarda mc kenna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:55
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2005

I am a freelance Spanish to English translator. I have had some translation work from the site, but that is not my main reason for being a member, I find the information on the site very good. Here´s my problem, I work directly with a lot of clients here in the area where I live. Sometimes there is a possibility of other languages I don´t do e.g SP>French/German. My question is should I accept these jobs and post them for someone else, or form a team to do it, the rates aren´t great (0.04 per... See more
I am a freelance Spanish to English translator. I have had some translation work from the site, but that is not my main reason for being a member, I find the information on the site very good. Here´s my problem, I work directly with a lot of clients here in the area where I live. Sometimes there is a possibility of other languages I don´t do e.g SP>French/German. My question is should I accept these jobs and post them for someone else, or form a team to do it, the rates aren´t great (0.04 per word)but as I do a lot of work for them so it compensates me in the end. I would be willing to pay the person who does the work I can´t do the 0.04 cents. I would benefit from keeping the customers sweet and VAT. Any advice on the matter would be helpful, it seems a shame to turn down these jobs.Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Careful! Apr 4, 2005

Hi Gerarda:

I've had the same problem from time to time. At first, I thought of posting the jobs on the site. But then I did some math calculations.

If I posted the job for the same rate I was getting, I would have to pay for the wire transfer, income taxes and other related costs out of my own pocket.

Moreover, by acting as a Project Manager, I would be taking on the responsibility for the quality of the translation on one side, and for collecting payment
... See more
Hi Gerarda:

I've had the same problem from time to time. At first, I thought of posting the jobs on the site. But then I did some math calculations.

If I posted the job for the same rate I was getting, I would have to pay for the wire transfer, income taxes and other related costs out of my own pocket.

Moreover, by acting as a Project Manager, I would be taking on the responsibility for the quality of the translation on one side, and for collecting payment on the other. All of this without compensation.

In essence, your client would be getting free services.

In the end, I decided to contact colleagues I know would do a good job, and after getting their approval, I just put my client and my colleague in direct communication.

So far, I've never lost a client with this method.

Good luck,

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre
Santiago, Chile
Collapse

gerarda mc kenna
gerarda mc kenna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:55
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some good advice Apr 4, 2005

I had not thought about that, you see I would have done what you suggested but my peers don´t do these combinations, as it is only a sporadic thing I thought it might be a good idea to post,as it would only be maybe, 2000 words from time to time, but I´ll have a longer think about it. Thanks and good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

job posting or what?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »