Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
对,到Kudoz可以得到实时帮助 Jun 13, 2008

在这除了付费会员,其他用户的回答可能要过一段时间才会出现。

我想 TELEPHONE FACILITIES FOR DISABLED ; DISABLED TOILET / TOILET FOR DISABLED 就可以了。... See more
在这除了付费会员,其他用户的回答可能要过一段时间才会出现。

我想 TELEPHONE FACILITIES FOR DISABLED ; DISABLED TOILET / TOILET FOR DISABLED 就可以了。

如图所示:
http://images.google.cn/imgres?imgurl=http://www.images.act.gov.au/duslibrary/imagesact.nsf/V01/AE9289322586282B4A256B9E0025AEF8/$File/005764.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.images.act.gov.au/duslibrary/imagesact.nsf/V01/AE9289322586282B4A256B9E0025AEF8?OpenDocument&h=523&w=600&sz=71&hl=zh-CN&start=14&um=1&tbnid=_38p7zhrtgpZ8M:&tbnh=118&tbnw=135&prev=/images?q=telephone+facilities+for+disabled&um=1&complete=1&hl=zh-CN&newwindow=1&sa=G

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-06-13 15:33]
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Handicapped Jun 14, 2008

Jason,

It's not as simple as that over here. The term evolved through the years, all out of consideration of political correctness. "handicapped" replaced "disabled", and even then it was not good enough. Some people would insist on the term "physically challenged".

But that's probably going a bit overboard. Today it's mostly referred to as facilities for the handicapped, such as handicapped parking, handicapped ramps, bathroom stalls/ urinals for the handicapped,
... See more
Jason,

It's not as simple as that over here. The term evolved through the years, all out of consideration of political correctness. "handicapped" replaced "disabled", and even then it was not good enough. Some people would insist on the term "physically challenged".

But that's probably going a bit overboard. Today it's mostly referred to as facilities for the handicapped, such as handicapped parking, handicapped ramps, bathroom stalls/ urinals for the handicapped, etc.
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
字典 Jun 14, 2008

Steve,

这里是金山词霸上美国传统词典中的一段解说,跟你的说法有点不一样,是不是这字典有点老了:

Although handicapped is widely used in both law and everyday speech to refer to people having physical or mental disabilities, those described by the word tend to prefer the expressions disabled or people with disabilities. To say that people are handicapped may imply that they cannot function on a par with others, while to say tha
... See more
Steve,

这里是金山词霸上美国传统词典中的一段解说,跟你的说法有点不一样,是不是这字典有点老了:

Although handicapped is widely used in both law and everyday speech to refer to people having physical or mental disabilities, those described by the word tend to prefer the expressions disabled or people with disabilities. To say that people are handicapped may imply that they cannot function on a par with others, while to say that they have adisability allows more readily for the possibility that they can so function, in spite of having to do some things in different ways. It is also felt that some stigma may attach to the word handicapped on account of its origin in the phrase hand in cap, actually derived from a game of chance but sometimes mistakenly believed to involve the image of a beggar.The word handicapped is best reserved to describe a disabled person who is unable to function owing to some property of the environment. Thus people with a physical disability requiring a wheelchair may or may not behandicapped, depending on whether wheelchair ramps are made available to them.

wherestip wrote:

Jason,

But that's probably going a bit overboard. Today it's mostly referred to as facilities for the handicapped, such as handicapped parking, handicapped ramps, bathroom stalls/ urinals for the handicapped, etc.

Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
wheelchair accessible toilet Jun 14, 2008

残疾人使用的卫生间一般是指轮椅可以进出的那种,基本上是男女合用的,既设有座便器也有小便池,旁边设有扶手。视力和听力障碍者可以使用一般的卫生间。公共场所的残疾人卫生间也是用轮椅作标示。

http://www.wheelgotravelling.info/CaravanTravels_GB.html

wheelchair accessible tele
... See more
残疾人使用的卫生间一般是指轮椅可以进出的那种,基本上是男女合用的,既设有座便器也有小便池,旁边设有扶手。视力和听力障碍者可以使用一般的卫生间。公共场所的残疾人卫生间也是用轮椅作标示。

http://www.wheelgotravelling.info/CaravanTravels_GB.html

wheelchair accessible telephone 这个是坐在轮椅上用的电话
http://www.massport.com/LOGAN/airpo_adase.html

以上链接有这样一段:
Telephones
Logan's public pay phones, which are hearing aid compatible and equipped with volume control, are located on both levels of all terminals on both sides of the security check points. AT&T 200 phones with a TTY option and a keyboard as well as public pay TTY telephones are available on both levels of all terminals. Wheelchair accessible telephones are available at most phone banks throughout the terminals.

hearing aid compatible (phone) 和 TTY telephone 是给听力障碍者用的了

jone wang wrote:

在饭店或机场等地,具有供残疾人使用的低位电话和低位卫生间。请教,这个低位电话或卫生间如何翻译成英文呢? 谢谢

[Edited at 2008-06-14 01:15]

[Edited at 2008-06-14 01:19]

[Edited at 2008-06-14 01:25]
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
参考 Jun 14, 2008

这里平时用disable\disabled\disability较多。正式文字中用”accessible“比较”正确“。

http://www.cityrail.info/facilities/facilities.jsp?n=350&giveOutput=true&facility=

[Edited at 2008-06-14 03:29]

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Steve and Zhoudan, I feel this one is more politically correct Jun 14, 2008

It's very clever to direct our attention to wheelchair, intead of people sitting on it.

Zhoudan wrote:
wheelchair accessible toilet

wheelchair accessible telephone

[Edited at 2008-06-14 11:28]

[Edited at 2008-06-14 11:29]

Imagining myself as disabled, I feel comfortable with a sign like this one:

[Edited at 2008-06-14 12:23]

[Edited at 2008-06-14 12:32]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
供参考 Jun 14, 2008

我们这里现在一般用“Personnes handicapées"或更讲究一点的是“ Personnes à mobilité réduite"可以译为:行动不便者。

停车场和厕所这种公共场合,一般只用图示,不再使用任何文字。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
德文的说法 Jun 14, 2008

德文的说法很委婉,绝对不会令人起反感:“受到障碍者” Behinderte。

至于受到怎样的障碍,德文里当然也可以特别指出,但一般都是隐而不曰;人人都懂,为什么需要拆白说呢?单单图示其实也够了。

不过,华语里说“残障人士”,又说“残而不废”,好像“残障者”一般倾向于“废”,其实按我半生的观察,有些缺陷的人往往比十全十美的人更有成就�
... See more
德文的说法很委婉,绝对不会令人起反感:“受到障碍者” Behinderte。

至于受到怎样的障碍,德文里当然也可以特别指出,但一般都是隐而不曰;人人都懂,为什么需要拆白说呢?单单图示其实也够了。

不过,华语里说“残障人士”,又说“残而不废”,好像“残障者”一般倾向于“废”,其实按我半生的观察,有些缺陷的人往往比十全十美的人更有成就。心理有缺陷,那就不太可能成为这类有成就的人;比方说,深谙利用权势进行斗争的希特勒、墨索里尼等等历史上的魔头,他们的成就是负面的成就,当然不属于那类有成就的人了。

chance wrote:

我们这里现在一般用“Personnes handicapées"或更讲究一点的是“ Personnes à mobilité réduite"可以译为:行动不便者。

停车场和厕所这种公共场合,一般只用图示,不再使用任何文字。

[Bearbeitet am 2008-06-14 12:20]
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Disability Jun 14, 2008

Zhoudan,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I guess I got the two mixed up. Actually "handicapped" sounds better to me than "disabled". But what the heck, if people prefer to be called disabled, so be it.

FWIW, I found this pdf file with a small collection of politically correct terms when referring to people with various disabilities.

<
... See more
Zhoudan,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I guess I got the two mixed up. Actually "handicapped" sounds better to me than "disabled". But what the heck, if people prefer to be called disabled, so be it.

FWIW, I found this pdf file with a small collection of politically correct terms when referring to people with various disabilities.

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/cross-cutting_programs/wid/pubs/DisabilityLanguage_Sept2007_3.pdf
Collapse

jone wang
jone wang
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for all Jun 28, 2008

非常感谢各位的热心帮助。
残疾,现在用people with disabilities 的比较多;
盲人: visually impirated people, or people with visual difficulties, or visually challenged.

总之,语言表达更加体现了尊重和平等。

再次感谢大家

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Impressed Jul 13, 2008

Very interesting answers. Thanks guys, thumbs up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »