Word error XP
Thread poster: blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
English to Flemish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2003

I have just finished a 25 pages difficult technical translation and upon saving the file, Word decided that this was enough and did something to my file. Now, it's possible to open the file, but I can't do anything with it (change, print, etc...) without Word saying that an error occurred and it has to close down. I wondered if some of you have experienced a similar behaviour and if there is something I can do to recuperate my 25 pages, without having to start all over again.

Help a
... See more
I have just finished a 25 pages difficult technical translation and upon saving the file, Word decided that this was enough and did something to my file. Now, it's possible to open the file, but I can't do anything with it (change, print, etc...) without Word saying that an error occurred and it has to close down. I wondered if some of you have experienced a similar behaviour and if there is something I can do to recuperate my 25 pages, without having to start all over again.

Help appreciated!
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:11
German to English
+ ...
Copy and paste into new file Oct 23, 2003

It sounds like it crashed, then re-opened in read-only format. No idea why it happened, but you should be able to recover the text:

Ctrl-A should select all
Ctrl-C should copy all
Now open a new empty Word document
Ctrl-V should paste into this new doc
Now save under a different file name

This is assuming it will stay open long enough for you to do something like this. If it doesn't, you might try opening in WordPad or Editor or some similar prog
... See more
It sounds like it crashed, then re-opened in read-only format. No idea why it happened, but you should be able to recover the text:

Ctrl-A should select all
Ctrl-C should copy all
Now open a new empty Word document
Ctrl-V should paste into this new doc
Now save under a different file name

This is assuming it will stay open long enough for you to do something like this. If it doesn't, you might try opening in WordPad or Editor or some similar program, copying all (if the file is not totally corrupted) and pasting into a new word file and saving as a new file.

Hope that helps.

Michele
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Save as RTF or open in OpenOffice Oct 23, 2003

If Michele's copy-and-paste approach doesn't work (hopefully it does), you could try to save the file in RTF format (but if copy-and-paste fails, this probably will too).

If all else fails, there is another possibility I haven't tried, but have read positive reports about: install OpenOffice (if you haven't yet, it's free), open the file and resave it (possibly as RTF). OpenOffice is supposed to rescue some documents that even Word cannot handle.

Good luck,
Endre<
... See more
If Michele's copy-and-paste approach doesn't work (hopefully it does), you could try to save the file in RTF format (but if copy-and-paste fails, this probably will too).

If all else fails, there is another possibility I haven't tried, but have read positive reports about: install OpenOffice (if you haven't yet, it's free), open the file and resave it (possibly as RTF). OpenOffice is supposed to rescue some documents that even Word cannot handle.

Good luck,
Endre
EB Communications
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
One of the advantages of CAT tools... Oct 23, 2003

like, say, Trados is that, if a file gets corrupted, all your work is still in the TM.
That means that you can scrap the corrupted file and autotranslate a new copy of the source document.
If the source document itself is corrupted, you are, of course, back to square one, but then it's not your problem, but your client's.
I use Trados for everything, this being one of the main reasons. I can see you have Trados... didn't you use it?

See more
like, say, Trados is that, if a file gets corrupted, all your work is still in the TM.
That means that you can scrap the corrupted file and autotranslate a new copy of the source document.
If the source document itself is corrupted, you are, of course, back to square one, but then it's not your problem, but your client's.
I use Trados for everything, this being one of the main reasons. I can see you have Trados... didn't you use it?

Jørgen
Collapse

Joop Fraikin (X)
Joop Fraikin (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Eigenschappen veranderen Oct 23, 2003

Als je bestand inderdaad "alleen lezen" is geworden, kun je in Verkenner de besandsnaam aanklikken met de rechter muisknop en dan onder "eigenschappen" het "alleen lezen" uitzetten. Daarna zou je bestand weer bruikbaar moeten zijn.

blomguib (X)
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geen probleem van "alleen lezen" Oct 23, 2003

Joop Fraikin wrote:

Als je bestand inderdaad "alleen lezen" is geworden, kun je in Verkenner de besandsnaam aanklikken met de rechter muisknop en dan onder "eigenschappen" het "alleen lezen" uitzetten. Daarna zou je bestand weer bruikbaar moeten zijn.

Het is meer dan een probleem van "alleen lezen"; Word SLUIT GEWOON AF af als ik iets in het document probeer te doen.

Joop Fraikin (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bestand invoegen Oct 23, 2003

Het is meer dan een probleem van "alleen lezen"; Word SLUIT GEWOON AF af als ik iets in het document probeer te doen.[/quote]

Heb je al geprobeerd om het bestand in te voegen in een leeg Word document?

blomguib (X)
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ook al geprobeerd Oct 23, 2003

Joop Fraikin wrote:

Het is meer dan een probleem van "alleen lezen"; Word SLUIT GEWOON AF af als ik iets in het document probeer te doen.

Heb je al geprobeerd om het bestand in te voegen in een leeg Word document?[/quote]

Dat is allemaal ook al geprobeerd...

blomguib (X)
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paper source Oct 23, 2003

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Jørgen

I have a paper source, and didn't fancy typing in the text before actually source starting the translation.

Joop Fraikin (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Word opnieuw installeren... Oct 23, 2003

Gebeurt dit ook met andere bestanden? Dan ligt het eerder aan Word dan aan het bestand. Opnieuw installeren is dan misschien de oplossing.

Stefan Blommaert wrote:

Joop Fraikin wrote:

Heb je al geprobeerd om het bestand in te voegen in een leeg Word document?

Dat is allemaal ook al geprobeerd...[/quote]

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Do you have a backup copy? Oct 23, 2003

Have you got a backup file (wbk file extension)? This has to be checked in the Word options menu and is often a nuisance as it doubles the number of files. But in times like these..... The backup may mean you'll have lost the last work you did, but its better than nothing. Good luck.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
No fax - no paper Oct 23, 2003

Stefan Blommaert wrote:

I have a paper source, and didn't fancy typing in the text before actually source starting the translation.

That's exactly why I don't have a fax and insist on electronic files.
If I do get either non-extractable PDFs or paper documents, I make sure that I can scan them before accepting the job.
Good luck, though

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Openen in Notepad? Oct 23, 2003

Heb je al geprobeerd het DOC-bestand in Notepad of Wordpad te openen? Dan heb je tenminste de tekst nog.

Succes,
Gerard

blomguib (X)
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Oct 23, 2003

I have consulted the MS helpdesk and they found that one of the files that was used by the spell checker, was corrupted...delete and replace...and it works!
The strange thing was that it only went wrong with a certain combination of words, which explained the fact that the problem only manifested itself with this particular document.

People from the MS helpdesk were very helpful, friendly and efficient...one does not frequently encounter this...

Thanks for your in
... See more
I have consulted the MS helpdesk and they found that one of the files that was used by the spell checker, was corrupted...delete and replace...and it works!
The strange thing was that it only went wrong with a certain combination of words, which explained the fact that the problem only manifested itself with this particular document.

People from the MS helpdesk were very helpful, friendly and efficient...one does not frequently encounter this...

Thanks for your input as well.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word error XP

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »