Word: Need help to delete degree symbols (spaces)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:12
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2006

Hello,

I'm working on a document that has a lot of degree symbols as spaces. In some parts, they're standing alone in other parts they're grouped together. I've been deleting them manually, but the process is taking me forever. Is there a way a can delete them all with the 'Replace' function without messing with the real 'space' marks.

Thanks

Claudia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:12
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Search & Replace Mar 15, 2006

Open the Search & Replace function, click on Advanced, chose Other, chose Nonbreakable space (^s) and replace it with a space or nothing.

HTH
Jerzy

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 15, 2006

Thank you Jerzy!!

Rocío Aguilar Otsu
Rocío Aguilar Otsu  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where is it? Mar 16, 2006

I use Word 2003, but where on the search & replace box do I find the Advanced option? I don't seem to find it...

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS-Word 2003 Mar 16, 2006

Rocío Aguilar Otsu wrote:

I use Word 2003, but where on the search & replace box do I find the Advanced option? I don't seem to find it...

Hello Rocío,
Click on More; at the bottom of the window there are two more buttons: Format and Special. Click on Special and you will see a list of Special marks.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I use Office XP in German Mar 16, 2006

So it is More, not Advanced.

But OTOH you could as well ask Word's help for "searching and replacing non breakable spaces" - I'm quite sure it would have told you where do you find the proper option. Don't hesitate to use help in Word and other MS products. You can say what you want about MS, but their help is far better than average.

Regards
Jerzy

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Just a check... Mar 16, 2006

Just to make sure - the non-breaking spaces are displayed like "degree symbols" ° if your MsWord is set to "display all" (that is, when you see the "normal" spaces as dots).

In case it would be that, and if you really need to replace non-breaking spaces with breaking spaces, you will need to use "search and replace " "plus" "special" "non-breaking space".

In French we use these nbs before all the double signs : ; ! ?, before numbers and unit names etc. - but in other
... See more
Just to make sure - the non-breaking spaces are displayed like "degree symbols" ° if your MsWord is set to "display all" (that is, when you see the "normal" spaces as dots).

In case it would be that, and if you really need to replace non-breaking spaces with breaking spaces, you will need to use "search and replace " "plus" "special" "non-breaking space".

In French we use these nbs before all the double signs : ; ! ?, before numbers and unit names etc. - but in other languages they can be useful too I guess if you don't want the line to break just anywhere.
They are invisible when "Tools" "options" "masked text" is not checked.

* Not sure about the way those commands are called in E, my MsWord is French.

Florence
Collapse

Rocío Aguilar Otsu
Rocío Aguilar Otsu  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you... Mar 16, 2006

for the information Caliaa.
I think using the basic feature of the Search & Replace optionwould have also worked . I mean, replacing the degree symbol by a blank space...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please read carefully what Oddie has written Mar 16, 2006

and don't mix up the degree sign (°) with the non-breakable space in Word, which is only displayed on the screen as a degree symbol. If you use the ordinary Search & Replace function and enter a "degree sign" to be searched for, you will end up with all non-breakable spaces left and all degree signs replaced.
To replace the nbsp you need to enter "^s" (without quotation marks) as a character to search for. Or you press More and use the characters offered there.

As always - pl
... See more
and don't mix up the degree sign (°) with the non-breakable space in Word, which is only displayed on the screen as a degree symbol. If you use the ordinary Search & Replace function and enter a "degree sign" to be searched for, you will end up with all non-breakable spaces left and all degree signs replaced.
To replace the nbsp you need to enter "^s" (without quotation marks) as a character to search for. Or you press More and use the characters offered there.

As always - please also refer to Word help, it is really helpfull and good written. You can save hours of searching, if you do ask Word for help.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Why delete them at all? Mar 20, 2006

I completely agree with Jerzy -- do NOT mistake these for degree signs. There really is no need (in most cases) to delete or replace them at all. They do not appear in the printed document. They are simply "special" spaces to keep the words/characters on either side of them from breaking at the end of a line. For example, when you have a figure such as "EUR 320,000.00", it is a good idea to put a non-breaking space between the 'EUR' and the '3' to keep the entire figure on one line. If it occurs... See more
I completely agree with Jerzy -- do NOT mistake these for degree signs. There really is no need (in most cases) to delete or replace them at all. They do not appear in the printed document. They are simply "special" spaces to keep the words/characters on either side of them from breaking at the end of a line. For example, when you have a figure such as "EUR 320,000.00", it is a good idea to put a non-breaking space between the 'EUR' and the '3' to keep the entire figure on one line. If it occurs near the end of a line and Word would normally put the 320,000.00 on a new line, the nbsp will pull the 'EUR' with it, keeping the entire figure together.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word: Need help to delete degree symbols (spaces)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »