Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Have you ever considered moving to a country with lower costs of living?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 20, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever considered moving to a country with lower costs of living?".

This poll was originally submitted by MariusJacobsen

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more i
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever considered moving to a country with lower costs of living?".

This poll was originally submitted by MariusJacobsen

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:52
English to Norwegian
+ ...
For those of you who have moved... Mar 20, 2009

I'd love to hear where you ended up! And did it have a positive impact on your financial situation or did it just complicate things? Since I'm considering it (actually planning on moving), I'd find it really interesting to hear some of your experiences.

caro.tulu
caro.tulu
Germany
German to English
The other way around... Mar 20, 2009

Since I moved to Estonia, I realized how cheap it was to live in the U.S. as compared to here! I'm sure the cost of living differs in various places in the U.S., but where I lived before, I only paid half the cost for rent and had more space and higher quality. I'm definitely considering moving back!

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:52
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I live in the most expensive city in the world Mar 20, 2009

Since I live in the most expensive city and country in the world, wherever I move to, I would be living in a country with lower costs compared to my native country.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
I will Mar 20, 2009

... but with two children (1 month and 3 years), I think I have to wait...

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Surprising Mar 20, 2009

Caroline Tulubjeva wrote:

Since I moved to Estonia, I realized how cheap it was to live in the U.S. as compared to here! I'm sure the cost of living differs in various places in the U.S., but where I lived before, I only paid half the cost for rent and had more space and higher quality. I'm definitely considering moving back!

So Estonia is more expensive than the U.S? That's surprising. I grew up in the U.S. and currently live in Europe, and even though Europe is generally more expensive than the U.S., I thought Estonia was one of the cheaper countries. I guess it also depends on where you live. City center, outskirts, country-side, etc.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Estonia expensive? Mar 20, 2009

I have no idea about the cost of living in the US, but when I was in Tallinn for 4 months I found that it was much cheaper to live there than in the UK. Would love to go back for a holiday sometime! I miss the fairytale buildings. And the brilliant jewellery shops!

Paul

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am already there! Mar 20, 2009

Hi!

I am Peruvian and live here in Peru, a country with very low costs of living. Everything goes fine and my family and I enjoy a standard-to-high lifestyle. Perhaps I should move to African countries, China or India to see even lower prices...

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, to a country with lower costs of living Mar 20, 2009

... BUT with fewer hurdles for work and earning.

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Agree Mar 20, 2009

Alexander Kupriyanchuk wrote:

... BUT with fewer hurdles for work and earning.

Very good point.

aliveic
aliveic
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
a common case in the developing countries Mar 20, 2009

MariusJacobsen wrote:

Caroline Tulubjeva wrote:

So Estonia is more expensive than the U.S? That's surprising. I grew up in the U.S. and currently live in Europe, and even though Europe is generally more expensive than the U.S., I thought Estonia was one of the cheaper countries. I guess it also depends on where you live. City center, outskirts, country-side, etc.

The markets in such places and especially the house market which in most cases is the base ground on which all emerging markets build their lives, suffer from very volatile prices. When they grow the rate is usually higher than in the more settled places, when they fall - they could fall deeper although sometimes with a delay in time. Add inflation to this and not having the opportunity to get the salary you normally get when you live in a more developed country and you end up with a comparatively higher cost of living.

There are other reasons of course, but this is just a simple overview of the picture.

[Edited at 2009-03-20 13:28 GMT]

Caroline Devitt (X)
Caroline Devitt (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, but not for that reason. Mar 20, 2009

I have moved to a country (two countries, in fact) with lower costs of living, but for other reasons.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:52
French to English
+ ...
not really Mar 20, 2009

I'm (vaguely) considering a move to Germany, which is possibly more expensive than the UK, depending on which part I end up in. After a couple of years I'd anticipate that my German would be good enough that I could start offering German>English translation (it's not bad now, but I'm not confident enough yet), and this ought to more than make up for the increased living costs.

I imagine this could be a consideration, wherever you want to move to - can I learn another language as par
... See more
I'm (vaguely) considering a move to Germany, which is possibly more expensive than the UK, depending on which part I end up in. After a couple of years I'd anticipate that my German would be good enough that I could start offering German>English translation (it's not bad now, but I'm not confident enough yet), and this ought to more than make up for the increased living costs.

I imagine this could be a consideration, wherever you want to move to - can I learn another language as part of this deal, and how will this affect my future earning capacity?
Collapse

Nandini Vivek
Nandini Vivek
German to English
India - not quite that cheap for a comparable standard of living Mar 20, 2009

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Perhaps I should move to African countries, China or India to see even lower prices...

I lived in the US for three years from 2005 -2008 and last year moved back to my home country, India. And I find that the US was comparatively cheaper for similar standard of living vis a vis Mumbai where I live currently. But then I find a drastic increase in the costs of everything suddenly over the past 2-3 years in India. Things were not this expensive in Mumbai when I relocated to the US in 2005.

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
No. Mar 20, 2009

I might get the impression that I misuse low standards for my purposes. And I would definitely not appreciate sitting there in a fat house surrounded by poverty, to put it straight.
(What if the living standards evolve? Do I head for the next poor country?)

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-20 16:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever considered moving to a country with lower costs of living?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »