How do I save a PDF-dictionary as Excel for use in MultiTerm?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:10
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2015

I managed to OCR the whole PDF successfully so I can search each term. The page layout is 4 columns like this:

source term translation source term translation

Now I would like to move these terms into an Excel that I then can create a termbase of with MultiTerm Desktop. Have anyone tried this before, to create an Excel from a PDF wordlíst and then create a termbase?
... See more

I managed to OCR the whole PDF successfully so I can search each term. The page layout is 4 columns like this:

source term translation source term translation

Now I would like to move these terms into an Excel that I then can create a termbase of with MultiTerm Desktop. Have anyone tried this before, to create an Excel from a PDF wordlíst and then create a termbase?

I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro that I tried to save directly as Excel, but it didn't work very well.
Collapse

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
If you want I will try to help you out with it Jun 26, 2015

Just send it to my email.
As far as I understand you need a 2-column xls file, right?

[Edited at 2015-06-26 18:54 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to Spanish
... Jun 26, 2015

Hi Frederik,

Here is the process:

1) Make the 4-column format into a 2-column format
2) Save 2-column document as Excel file
3) Use MultiTerm Convert to convert Excel file into an XML file
4) Create termbase in MultiTerm
5) Import XML file into newly created termbase

Good luck

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here comes the PDF Jun 26, 2015

Thanks Radian and Miguel for the help. I'll try this, sounds like it should work. The current Excel result was completely messed up because of the four columns probably.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I make the PDF in 2-column format? Jun 27, 2015

Miguel,

I wonder if you could advice how to make the PDF into a 2-column format directly in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI? Is there a way I can edit the PDF in Adobe what regards the layout with columns?

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to Spanish
... Jun 29, 2015

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I wonder if you could advice how to make the PDF into a 2-column format directly in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI? Is there a way I can edit the PDF in Adobe what regards the layout with columns?

Fredrik,

You cannot do it directly in Acrobat Pro.

You need to get out of Acrobat Pro, and work in Word.

First, in Acrobat Pro save/export the 4-column file as a Word document, so you have an editable text file, just like any regular Word document.

Then, open the Word document, select the 3rd and 4th columns, cut them and paste them at the bottom of the 1st and 2nd columns, so you end up with a 2-column document.

This is the 2-column table you need to export to Excel (via copy and paste, etc.), so you can process it in MultiTerm Converter.

Good luck.

===================
Editted to add:

Also, depending on how you get the 4-column table in Word, you can export it as a CSV file and open it directly in Excel.

When you open the file in Word, what kind of separation do you have between columns? Tabs?

It might be even possible with some manipulation of the separation characters to make the CSV file open as a 2-column table in Excel.

[Edited at 2015-06-29 17:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »