Thread poster: Robert Hendrickx
Robert Hendrickx
Robert Hendrickx
Spain
Local time: 04:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 11, 2007

I'm translating a 70 page Word doc full of tables, and when running Trados the target segments are invisible due to the row size. As changing this size for all the tables is complicated, I'm changing the view mode in Word to reading view, because in this mode both segments are visible. The problem is that upon closing a segment word automatically changes back to the normal view mode, and I have to change the mode again in the next segment. Now my question is: does anyone know if there is a way t... See more
I'm translating a 70 page Word doc full of tables, and when running Trados the target segments are invisible due to the row size. As changing this size for all the tables is complicated, I'm changing the view mode in Word to reading view, because in this mode both segments are visible. The problem is that upon closing a segment word automatically changes back to the normal view mode, and I have to change the mode again in the next segment. Now my question is: does anyone know if there is a way to permanently use the reading view mode, without it automatically switching back to normal mode?Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Resize the tables May 11, 2007

Just had a 160 page document with 2 separate tables per page. Was to change row height to undefined to be able to work. Not a big deal using keyboard shortcuts. Moreover, the tables would require resizing after translation due to text length difference.

Reading mode might be OK, but if someone wants to print this out, he gets garbage for sure.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Why don't you use TagEditor instead? Not a direct answer to your question, but still a solution May 11, 2007

Hi Robert,

I deal very often with very long texts full of tables, which do slow down my working speed (segments open & close more slowly, sometimes at the end of each table TWB won't open the next segment, not to mention the steadily increasing size of the file), so I have moved to TagEditor and solved all my problems.

Giuliana

Robert Hendrickx
Robert Hendrickx
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS! May 11, 2007

Thanks a mill Giuliana!
I've opened the doc in Tageditor and indeed it works fine! Much easier! My only question is: will the tables be intact after cleaning the ttx file and re-opening the doc-file in Word? I've got diagrams with text boxes in the tables. Will these still be in the right place?

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Definitely, Robert! May 11, 2007

Hi again Robert,

don't worry, TagEditor doesn't change anything at all, it retains all formatting.

You only need to "Save target as..." (changing a little bit the file name, of course) and you'll have a nice and clean file with all tables formatted as the original. (If the char no. of the target language is higher than that of the source, you may need to do some "re-touching" of the word length, but it is quickly done. I rarely touch table sizes, but prefer to look for
... See more
Hi again Robert,

don't worry, TagEditor doesn't change anything at all, it retains all formatting.

You only need to "Save target as..." (changing a little bit the file name, of course) and you'll have a nice and clean file with all tables formatted as the original. (If the char no. of the target language is higher than that of the source, you may need to do some "re-touching" of the word length, but it is quickly done. I rarely touch table sizes, but prefer to look for shorter synonyms or get rid of prepositions or to abbreviate words.)

Giuliana
Collapse

Robert Hendrickx
Robert Hendrickx
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Giuliana! May 11, 2007

Thanks for your advise! I haven't used Trados that much on tables in the past, but now I know what to do to avoid visibility and slowness problems

TRIDIOM
TRIDIOM
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In case you decide to use word May 11, 2007

Hi

Been through that too and found a solution! If working in word, you select the whole table, click on the right hand button. In "Properties of the Table" (propiedades de la tabla) [sorry but my Word is in Spanish], you select the 2nd tab, called "line" (between column and table). The where it says "line" you mark "specific lenght" and "minimum".

That way you will be able to see both segemnts in each cell and when cleaning it it will go back to normal.

Mar
... See more
Hi

Been through that too and found a solution! If working in word, you select the whole table, click on the right hand button. In "Properties of the Table" (propiedades de la tabla) [sorry but my Word is in Spanish], you select the 2nd tab, called "line" (between column and table). The where it says "line" you mark "specific lenght" and "minimum".

That way you will be able to see both segemnts in each cell and when cleaning it it will go back to normal.

Marta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target segments invisible in tables

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »