Invoicing, management software : impressions ?
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 14:11
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Nov 4, 2003

Good morning everyone,
I am ready to buy a new accounting software.
I've tried the demo PractiCount, and liked what little I found time to experiment with.
I am wondering, though, what you Proz out there have to say about different software you've tried, to manage your files, projects, invoices and statements. I am open to all new ideas and comments, positive or not.
Thanks so much ! Enjoy your day (we're getting a thin skin of ice all over, but the weatherman has promis
... See more
Good morning everyone,
I am ready to buy a new accounting software.
I've tried the demo PractiCount, and liked what little I found time to experiment with.
I am wondering, though, what you Proz out there have to say about different software you've tried, to manage your files, projects, invoices and statements. I am open to all new ideas and comments, positive or not.
Thanks so much ! Enjoy your day (we're getting a thin skin of ice all over, but the weatherman has promised 15 degrees Celsius for tomorrow)...
N.
Collapse

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
English to Spanish
+ ...
QuickBooks Pro Nov 9, 2003

I have been using QuickBooks Pro for years and have found it to be very user friendly as it adapts to a variety of industries and one can edit the format of the invoices, statements, etc. Also tracks taxes payable. I personally am very happy with it.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
QuickBooks Nov 9, 2003

MJPastor wrote:

I have been using QuickBooks Pro for years

I have, too, but I can't send electronic invoices to most of my clients.
N.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
German to English
+ ...
Currencies? Nov 10, 2003

Can QuickBooks handle various currencies? My method right now is to keep an Excel list of invoices with three colums: invoice amount (in orig. currency), estimated amount (in my currency), actual amount (amount that lands in my bank acct. in my currency).
Can I do something like that with Quickbooks?

Another issue is measurement - most dedicated translation mgmt. programs seem to have presets for words, lines, whatever, and I use a mixture; it depends on the client. I imagine
... See more
Can QuickBooks handle various currencies? My method right now is to keep an Excel list of invoices with three colums: invoice amount (in orig. currency), estimated amount (in my currency), actual amount (amount that lands in my bank acct. in my currency).
Can I do something like that with Quickbooks?

Another issue is measurement - most dedicated translation mgmt. programs seem to have presets for words, lines, whatever, and I use a mixture; it depends on the client. I imagine QuickBooks is neutral in this respect?

We'll get to the bottom of this issue, Nancy! I've been looking for a while, too. I just don't want to switch everything over if a vital component will be missing!
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
QuickBooks Nov 10, 2003

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

Can QuickBooks handle various currencies?

We'll get to the bottom of this issue, Nancy! I've been looking for a while, too. I just don't want to switch everything over if a vital component will be missing!

The trouble is, I,ve got an old version of QB- it's 6.0, and they have been actively marketing me to upgrade (over 400 CAD) and this is why I'm asking -- QB is a great financial tool, but is there something out there with project management too ?

And the various currencies -- my version doesn't support that.

Let's keep looking ! Any developers following this thread ?

N.

Aleksandar Krga
Aleksandar Krga  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:11
German to Serbian
+ ...
Just a question Nov 12, 2003

Hi there!

I am a translator and a programmer in one person. I have same problems like You, and in last time there are a lot of smaller contracts - more invoices, more translations, more files.

I am thinking about writing a tool for management of translation projects with invoicing. For the beginning they should be only basic functions like:

Database of agencies
Database of coworkers
Project list
links to all Translation files of partial p
... See more
Hi there!

I am a translator and a programmer in one person. I have same problems like You, and in last time there are a lot of smaller contracts - more invoices, more translations, more files.

I am thinking about writing a tool for management of translation projects with invoicing. For the beginning they should be only basic functions like:

Database of agencies
Database of coworkers
Project list
links to all Translation files of partial project / translation (source, destination, glosary etc)
Invoicing
Reports (by langugage, by month, by agency etc)

It would not be a big program for complete finance management, but just a small, very specialized program for translators.

My question is: would You buy such a program?
How big is Your interest to have something like this?
It would costs less then $50.

May be You have some idea what must such a programm have?

Thank You in advance for all answers, sugestions, ideas!

With regards,
Aleksandar
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Welcome, Aleksandr ! Nov 12, 2003

Being a translator you know what our specific needs are. I am impressed with your list of attributes and if I can help you in any way (not programming, though ; that is not one of my skills !) Let me know.
Nancy

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Quickbooks is great Nov 19, 2003

I vote for quickbooks/ I use qb Pro 10. It is great It has multicurrency and you can send invoices by email as pdf attached files. I use it in Estonia so I think it is a good proof that in Canada and US it works.

I need to stress that there are two kinds of QB, one for UK (where you can reclaim VAT) another for US (where the sale tax paid is non deductible) So Europeans (who can reclaim VAT) should check before purchase that the UK version is offered to them.

I have be
... See more
I vote for quickbooks/ I use qb Pro 10. It is great It has multicurrency and you can send invoices by email as pdf attached files. I use it in Estonia so I think it is a good proof that in Canada and US it works.

I need to stress that there are two kinds of QB, one for UK (where you can reclaim VAT) another for US (where the sale tax paid is non deductible) So Europeans (who can reclaim VAT) should check before purchase that the UK version is offered to them.

I have been using versions 2.0, 3.0, 6.0, 8.0 and now 10.0 since 1994 so I know the point.
Collapse

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
Quickbooks is bad Apr 7, 2007

There are actually 3 version of Quickbooks (UK, US, and Canada). The Canadian version of QB is the only one that supports multi-currency. I have tested QB2007 PRO and it has big flaws.

You can send invoice as a PDF attachment, but all generated invoices in PDF have the same name (qbemail.pdf) and it doesn't make sense to save the file somewhere on your PC and rename it to a more meaningful name (Inv001) or keep sending the same qbemail.pdf to your client, because it is very confusin
... See more
There are actually 3 version of Quickbooks (UK, US, and Canada). The Canadian version of QB is the only one that supports multi-currency. I have tested QB2007 PRO and it has big flaws.

You can send invoice as a PDF attachment, but all generated invoices in PDF have the same name (qbemail.pdf) and it doesn't make sense to save the file somewhere on your PC and rename it to a more meaningful name (Inv001) or keep sending the same qbemail.pdf to your client, because it is very confusing, I guess.

It also cannot do batch invoicing. Say, you have done 10 jobs for a particular client, you cannot include those 10 jobs in one invoice. You have to do it one by one which is a time-consuming task.

If you go to QB Community forum, you will see how users are unhappy with this, but Quickbooks still doesn't care and the support is really bad.

I have also heard of some problems in mailing attachments and in many cases your client doesn't get your invoice. So, you should copy yourself in the message sent to your client.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
QB 6.0 Apr 9, 2007

Having had my laptop cleaned up recently, I found myself without T3000 - the computer lady wiped out the program.

I still have the license key, but it's corrupt, I guess, and the AIT website download page does not accept it.

I haven't had a reply to my suppot request in a couple of weeks now.

So I reviewed these fora, saw the post above about QB 6.0, and remembered I still have this software kicking around; I began to install it, because I am now behind in
... See more
Having had my laptop cleaned up recently, I found myself without T3000 - the computer lady wiped out the program.

I still have the license key, but it's corrupt, I guess, and the AIT website download page does not accept it.

I haven't had a reply to my suppot request in a couple of weeks now.

So I reviewed these fora, saw the post above about QB 6.0, and remembered I still have this software kicking around; I began to install it, because I am now behind in my invoicing.

Well!!!! I'd forgotten how involved - and limited - this software is.
It worked perfectly for my husband's upholstery business, but our word-count based business (with Trados reductions, let's not forget...) just doesn't fit with QB 6.0. And let's not get started with foreign currencies...

So I still have no invoicing software for the moment.

Nancy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing, management software : impressions ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »