Thread poster: Howard Camm
Howard Camm
Howard Camm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:18
Italian to English
+ ...
May 18, 2015

Hallo, I am in the process of updating and reformatting my CV - does anyone have any advice on what is the most secure way to present this to potential clients? I have used MS WORD and PDF formats previously and also digitally signed the CV or password protected/encrypted it, but I am not convinced that any of these would stop someone using the file inappropriately. I had a look at EUROPASS but it didn't seem to offer any real advantages either. Any advice gratefully received! Met vriendelijke g... See more
Hallo, I am in the process of updating and reformatting my CV - does anyone have any advice on what is the most secure way to present this to potential clients? I have used MS WORD and PDF formats previously and also digitally signed the CV or password protected/encrypted it, but I am not convinced that any of these would stop someone using the file inappropriately. I had a look at EUROPASS but it didn't seem to offer any real advantages either. Any advice gratefully received! Met vriendelijke groet, Dr Howrd Camm.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Security May 18, 2015

Dr Howard Camm wrote:

Hallo, I am in the process of updating and reformatting my CV - does anyone have any advice on what is the most secure way to present this to potential clients? I have used MS WORD and PDF formats previously and also digitally signed the CV or password protected/encrypted it, but I am not convinced that any of these would stop someone using the file inappropriately. I had a look at EUROPASS but it didn't seem to offer any real advantages either. Any advice gratefully received! Met vriendelijke groet, Dr Howrd Camm.

Hi Howard

Just a couple of days ago I was politely contacted by a translation agency in Spain, requesting permission to use my CV as part of an EU tender bid contest in which they were planning to participate. I politely declined their request, but this alerted me to the fact that anyone could have downloaded my CV and used it for any purpose, without telling me.

After discussing this with others in a different thread on this website I came to the conclusion that the only really safe way is to eliminate your CV from your profile, and to leave the following message instead: "CV available upon request".

[Edited at 2015-05-18 09:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SECURITY OF CV INFORMATION

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »