Need help - XML (TMX) Editor
Thread poster: Freigeist

Freigeist
Local time: 21:09
Oct 10, 2011

Hello everyone,

I have the following problem. I have a bunch of TMX files here with 3 languages and I want to remove one language completely and swap the sorting of the two remaining ones. As there are thousands of entries that need to be edited, I need to find an automated solution (for Windows). Each translation segment looks like this:

(tu tuid="STRINGID">)
(note)STRING NOTE(/note)
(tuv xml:lang="de")
(seg)DE TEXT(/seg)
(/tuv)
(tuv xml:lang="en")
(seg)EN TEXT(/seg)
(/tuv)
(tuv xml:lang="fr")
(seg)FR TEXT(/seg)
(/tuv)
(/tu)

(The brackets are of course angle brackets, but it's not displayed here so I changed it)

What I want to do now is get rid of the "de" segment and all its content, and swapping the sorting of the remaining two entries so fr is on top and en follows. I tried to use regular expressions with notepad++ to achieve this but I just can't figure out how to do it. Does anyone has an idea to do this? I tried using Olifant but there you can't change the sorting and it removes other information of the XML file (like ).

Thanks in advance!

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-10 10:42 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-10 10:46 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:09
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try Olifant Oct 10, 2011

It is free, you will find the download link here:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Once you load the file into Olifant, you will be able to to delete the unwanted language in the file's properties.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Piotr

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use a CAT tool Oct 10, 2011

Most CAT tools support TMX, so you should be able to create a new FR-EN TM, import the TMX as is, and then export it again.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
no point Oct 11, 2011

You could do this in Notepad+ but there is no need to do it if you want to use the tmx in a CAT tool. CATs are smart enough to ignore the superfluous third language and they are smart enough to import the languages correctly.

Just create a fr-en TM and import.

If you really need to do this for some odd reason, I can try and help get a regex together fot you.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 08:15 GMT]

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
In Word Oct 11, 2011

I am sure the problem can be solved without creating a regex, easily and safely. However, if you are still interested, here is a regex which seems to work. It is for Word, because I am a bit more familiar with regex in Word, than in Notepad++.

Go to Find/Replace and check Wildcard checkbox.

To delete "de” part:

Find:
\<tuv xml:lang="de"\>^13\<seg\>*\</seg\>^13\</tuv\>^13
Replace with:
nothing

To change the order of „en” and „fr”:

Find:
(\<tuv xml:lang="en"\>^13\<seg\>*\</seg\>^13\</tuv\>^13)(\<tuv xml:lang="fr"\>^13\<seg\>*\</seg\>^13\</tuv\>^13)
Replace with:
\2\1
Note the space between each tuv and xml: tuv_xml.
If there are soft breaks between the lines, use ^10 instead of ^13.

After the Find/Replace operations I got this - hope this is what you need:

<tu tuid="STRINGID">
<note>STRING NOTE</note>
<tuv xml:lang="fr">
<seg>FR TEXT</seg>
</tuv>
<tuv xml:lang="en">
<seg>EN TEXT</seg>
</tuv>
</tu>

aaron9l8i
Local time: 21:09
XML Editor Oct 11, 2011

If It helps I have used Liquid XML Editor (http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xml-editor.aspx) for working with my files without any problems, you should be able to make the necessary alterations in the preferences tab.

good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help - XML (TMX) Editor

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search