How to extract acronyms from source text?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 22

Dear colleagues,

This may not be the best forum for my question, but here goes:

I'm looking for a convenient way to extract all acronyms/abbreviations from the source text, by which I basically (as a working definition) mean words that are not found in standard monolingual dictionaries and are written in capitals.

Ideally, I'd like to have them exported as a list, possibly with the whole sentence they appear in for context.

If anyone know a way to achieve this with SDL Trados Studio 2017, TermExtract, or third party software, I'd be grateful for a hint.

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:46
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
With Word Feb 22

For a rough list of acronyms with capital letters, you can copy and paste the text in MS Word, search with wildcards for <[A-Z]{2;}> (see note below) and replace with just bold formatting, and then search (without wildcards) for non-bold formatting and replace with ^p. That should leave you with just 2-letter or longer words in ALL CAPS with line breaks.

In the regular expression, you may need to use {2,} instead of {2;} depending on your system settings.

[Edited at 2018-02-22 20:00 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract acronyms from source text?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search