Interpreting code of ethics
Thread poster: Eman Mohamed

Eman Mohamed
Australia
Sep 27

As interpreters what do you do if you recognised that you know the client from before however this client is not a relative or friend but you have mutual friends and you met before but no close relationship? Do you accept the job or not ? Do you consider that a conflict of interest?

[Edited at 2020-09-27 11:34 GMT]

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:01
Serbian to English
+ ...
Where exactly is the conflict of interest supposed to be? Sep 29

When you say "conflict of interest" you probably mean conflict of your own interests with ... ???? whose interests exactly?

And in which way? What exactly is the potential problem you are worried about?

I must admit I'm puzzled by your question.

Dr. Taylor
United States
New user
Greek (Ancient) to English
Credibility is the issue Nov 6

If you enjoy a reputation of being consistently unbiased in the field, you might undertake the project without negative consequence. But more than likely, some with blind prejudice will still criticize you.

I think your topic is fraught with danger, since not everyone is cognizant of the fact that ethics is subjective and morality absolute: what is ethical in one culture may be unethical in another, while morality is independent of human interpretation. And history is replete with
... See more
If you enjoy a reputation of being consistently unbiased in the field, you might undertake the project without negative consequence. But more than likely, some with blind prejudice will still criticize you.

I think your topic is fraught with danger, since not everyone is cognizant of the fact that ethics is subjective and morality absolute: what is ethical in one culture may be unethical in another, while morality is independent of human interpretation. And history is replete with instances where people suffered greatly because their leaders in ignorance deemed their invented ethical guidelines to be moral, when the opposite was true. Indeed, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Because of the nature of your topic, it seems your decision to accept the assignment will depend on who you ultimately serve.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Chao Sun
China
New user
English to Chinese
+ ...
Code of Ethics Nov 11

I think if there is no conflict of interest, it is OK to accept the task, but if there is, you should disclose that or decline the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting code of ethics

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2021
One central location to store and manage multilingual terminology.

By providing access to all those involved in applying terminology (such as engineers, marketers, translators, and terminologists), our terminology management solution ensures consistent and high-quality content from source through to translation.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search