MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 21:59
Italian to German
+ ...
Dec 14, 2011

Hello,

I have never used Passolo 2009 but I have good experience with Trados products.

I want to localize (translate) an old russian game for Windows DirectX 5, 1997; I have a small exe file where I want to substitute russian dialogs into English.

In Passolo, I have created a project, added the exe file as source file which has been recognized as win32 parser, added the target language. After that, no extraction takes place, I receive the message "This fil
... See more
Hello,

I have never used Passolo 2009 but I have good experience with Trados products.

I want to localize (translate) an old russian game for Windows DirectX 5, 1997; I have a small exe file where I want to substitute russian dialogs into English.

In Passolo, I have created a project, added the exe file as source file which has been recognized as win32 parser, added the target language. After that, no extraction takes place, I receive the message "This file doesn't contain any translatable text" which is wrong (if I open the file with a Hex Editor or with UltraEdit I can find the strings in Russian).

Can Passolo handle such older files written for Windows 98? Must all DLL files or other files needed by the exe be present in one directory when adding the file as a source file?
Why can't I work with the file?

[ADDED]:
Well, I now have more precisions about what is exactly in the exe file: the strings I'm interested in (what will appear to be dialogs in the game), are not in russian, but words are coded in a strange way like ìåíåå ïÿòè ... However Passolo recognizes the exe as having Russian language: I don't have to set this when I chose the source file. Mistery for me...

Thanks so much for a feedback!

Mike

[Edited at 2011-12-14 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 21:59
English to German
Are you sure about the file format and the resources? Dec 15, 2011

Hello Mike,

I assume that you are using SDL Passolo 2009 Essential that comes with SDL Trados 2009, correct?

There must be a reason why the error message "This file doesn't contain any translatable text" is displayed and using tools like a Hex Editor or a text editor like UltraEdit is not the right approach to get useful information about the problem. You may find some strings using these tools but are you sure that these strings are stored in the resource section of th
... See more
Hello Mike,

I assume that you are using SDL Passolo 2009 Essential that comes with SDL Trados 2009, correct?

There must be a reason why the error message "This file doesn't contain any translatable text" is displayed and using tools like a Hex Editor or a text editor like UltraEdit is not the right approach to get useful information about the problem. You may find some strings using these tools but are you sure that these strings are stored in the resource section of the binary? It is possible that all these strings you have found are hardcoded strings in the code or data section of the binary.

Please use a tool that is able to consistently handle PE files. Nearly all binaries like EXE or DLL are stored in the so-called Portable Executable format and you can use tools like PE Explorer to open them. These tools are able to open the resource section of a binary. Perhaps these tools will not find any resources in the file. A non-internationalized software is nearly impossible to localize.

Another reason for this problem could be the old file format. Of course SDL Passolo can handle binary files written for Windows 9x. Since Windows 95 all resources in PE binaries are stored in Unicode (with some small exceptions) and the Win32 parser is able to extract them. So this file may be an old Windows 16 Bit file that was developed for old Windows 3.1x systems. The strange strings you have found could be an indicator for that.

In this case SDL Passolo 2009 Essential is not able to extract the resources as the 16 Bit Windows parser is available in the full version of SDL Passolo only.

Hope this information helps.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo 2009: basic questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »