Thread poster: Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2007

I am using SDLX Version 2006 (Build6010) for translation of a website. The glue function worked well and all individual pages were glued into one big translated file. Now I am having trouble with the unglue function. It did work initially, but I was unable to export the individual unglued SDL files into html. So I tried again from scratch with a new SDL file (previously I was working with two seperate batches, because new pages were added), now I have one glued SDL file and one glued html file,... See more
I am using SDLX Version 2006 (Build6010) for translation of a website. The glue function worked well and all individual pages were glued into one big translated file. Now I am having trouble with the unglue function. It did work initially, but I was unable to export the individual unglued SDL files into html. So I tried again from scratch with a new SDL file (previously I was working with two seperate batches, because new pages were added), now I have one glued SDL file and one glued html file, but how do I get them seperated? I used html options and the unglue function but only get as far as being able to save an unglue report (the little one liner that tells me that is has completed the unglue job), but no unglued SDL or html files in the folder (or anywhere else for that matter!). Any ideas?Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Location of the files Feb 7, 2007

The unglued files are placed in the same directory they came from, i.e. not necessarily in the current folder of the translated glued file.

If, for instance, the HTML files were in c:\projekte\2007-108 (and its subfolders, if any) when you glued them, that's where the translated TTXes are going to be created by the unglue process.

The file and path names are stored in the glued Master TTX file and you can look them up, if you like, by opening the file in Internet Expl
... See more
The unglued files are placed in the same directory they came from, i.e. not necessarily in the current folder of the translated glued file.

If, for instance, the HTML files were in c:\projekte\2007-108 (and its subfolders, if any) when you glued them, that's where the translated TTXes are going to be created by the unglue process.

The file and path names are stored in the glued Master TTX file and you can look them up, if you like, by opening the file in Internet Explorer as XML.

There's another problem to be aware of when ungluing:
Sometimes, the TTX files receive a .html file extension (after ungluing) even though they are not cleaned and re-converted yet. In that case, renaming all files to .ttx and cleaning them using the Workbench is the easiest solution. This will update the TM and generate proper HTML files.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2007-02-07 11:56]
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 7, 2007

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Benjamin. Yes, the folder is displayed allright and, yes, the system seems to rename the files with an additional .htm.
Just to clarify:
I have the Master file that SDLX automatically calls HTML000 with the entire site glued together in two versions: as the html master file and as the SDL master file. Which one is supposed to be the .txx file? It doesn´t show .txx anywhere in the details and I´m relatively new to SDLX/Trados.
In the p
... See more
Thanks very much for the quick reply, Benjamin. Yes, the folder is displayed allright and, yes, the system seems to rename the files with an additional .htm.
Just to clarify:
I have the Master file that SDLX automatically calls HTML000 with the entire site glued together in two versions: as the html master file and as the SDL master file. Which one is supposed to be the .txx file? It doesn´t show .txx anywhere in the details and I´m relatively new to SDLX/Trados.
In the previous file folder (in which the two batches of pages were not combined yet, i.e. there is an HTML000 and HTML001) I managed to unglue both master files, but a conversion into html resulted in filenamexxx_htm_scr and a website full of html lingo in the SDLX edit format.
I just want to ensure that I rename the correct files and avoid a mess. By the way, the first couple of webpages did convert fine into html when I first followed the normal procedure, but then there was a run time error with a bad file name.
Thank you again for your help.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
SDLX workflow different from Trados? Feb 7, 2007

Archgk - the more elaborate version of this posting I had written just disappeared, so here's the short version:

Hmm, I was assuming you were using the standalone Glue application, but now I'm not so sure. If the problem is SDLX-related, I don't think I'll be able to help you.

B

Julia Esrom
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again Feb 7, 2007

No worries, your idea about cleaning the file in workbench was really helpful and there are a few things now that I can try. I managed to export into .ttx - just renaming didn´t work, but exporting into Tradostag format works well and cleaning also. I assume I can´t convert the .ttx from the utility switchboard in SDLX, will try anyway... otherwise back to Trados. So thanks again! Any further ideas on this topic are welcome! - Julia

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
To avoid a sticky ending ... Feb 7, 2007

Any further ideas on this topic are welcome!

... use Déjà Vu DVX instead? No need for glue. Multiple files can be imported and viewed as if they were one file in an "All files" view, as well as sorted alphabetically and filtered on a term or expression.

David Turner

Julia Esrom
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are probably right! Feb 7, 2007

yes.... I know, I should have listened in the first place and not followed the crowd. Well, right now this isn´t an option unless someone can send me a magical and shiny new copy of DejaVu; in the meantime, I tried again from scratch. This time: Run-time error 52 Bad file name or number. I think that´s what happened in the first place too. The SDLX user guide has nothing to say about run time errors. The first two web pages convert fine and that´s it. Page titles appear in the SDL edit file a... See more
yes.... I know, I should have listened in the first place and not followed the crowd. Well, right now this isn´t an option unless someone can send me a magical and shiny new copy of DejaVu; in the meantime, I tried again from scratch. This time: Run-time error 52 Bad file name or number. I think that´s what happened in the first place too. The SDLX user guide has nothing to say about run time errors. The first two web pages convert fine and that´s it. Page titles appear in the SDL edit file and I tried both converting the file with the original untranslated title segment and translated, but that also doesn´t seem to be the problem. Any idea if this 'bad file name' would be inside the actual SDL edit translation file, i.e. something got translated that shouldn´t have, or is elsewhere? Again, thanks to all.Collapse

Julia Esrom
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
correction Feb 7, 2007

Julia Esrom wrote:

, or is elsewhere?

sorry: or is it elsewhere?

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Use Trados? Feb 7, 2007

Couldn't you export your SDLX TM to the Trados part of SDL Trados 2006 and batch translate the set of html files? That's assuming your version of SDLX includes a Trados licence.

David Turner

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Download the free trial version Feb 7, 2007

Well, right now this isn´t an option unless someone can send me a magical and shiny new copy of DejaVuJ

Or alternatively you could download the free 30-day trial version of DVX, import the files into a project, import your SDLX TM into a DVX TM and batch pretranslate.

David Turner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unglue SDL document for export into html

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »