Winword Exe Runtime Error
Thread poster: david angel (X)

david angel (X)
Local time: 11:27
French to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2006

Hi.
I'm running Windows XP with Microsoft Office 2000 and I use the latest version of Trados, 7.5 I think.
Every time I try to open a Word document I get a Runtime Error message and the document won't open.
I've tried the following:
Taking the operating system back to a previous starting point.
Changing the name of normal.dot
Running Ad Aware and Spybot.
Deleting cookies, unnecessary files, history, etc with Easyclean.
Searching for viruses - although if I try to run the Norton Virus scan it tells me that it has searched one file and that the scan is complete! I have tried with Norton Virus Quickscan, however, and no bad news comes up.
I have had a few problems with Trados Clean-up recently, and occasionally get run-time errors when translating with Trados in Word. I wonder if there is a link with Trados somewhere.
Can anyone suggest the next move?
Best Wishes,

David Angel.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Remove Trados dot from the word setup Aug 3, 2006

and see if this makes a difference.

Then, let us know (g).

smo

david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados dot Aug 3, 2006

Thanks smo. I have looked for trados.dot with the search function and can't find it. I'm probably being dumb.
Best Wishes,
David.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Located in Word start up folder Aug 3, 2006

And where this is, ask Wordicon_smile.gif
(Go to Tools, Options, File locations - or similar, I´m basing on my german Word).
This location is usually c:\documents and settings\current user\local settings\application data\word\start up

OTOH, do you get this behaviour for a particular Word file or for any Word file?
Are you able to create a new file, write something in it, save it and reopen it again?

Regards
Jerzy

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
I think Aug 3, 2006

david angel wrote:

Thanks smo. I have looked for trados.dot with the search function and can't find it. I'm probably being dumb.
Best Wishes,
David.

it is Trados7.dot

but better, search for all dots so you will find it!icon_biggrin.gif

search too for ~
and delete all dots will this symbol at the beginning (all applications must be closed before).

It can be also a conflict with other templates, let only Trados in the Startup folder and bring all other templates located in this folder to the templates folder.

Regards

... and run "Detect and Repair" in Word

[Edited at 2006-08-03 17:23]

david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found trados7.dot Aug 3, 2006

I obviously was being dumb!
Just found the file. I will rename it and see what happens. Does everybody agree?

David.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Renaming is always a good solution Aug 3, 2006

But in case of Trados7.dot (or other Trados templates) don´t worry - you can delete it too, as you always have another copy of it in Trados installation folder.
Should your test be positive and after renaming Trados7.dot to something what won´t load at Word start (ie Trados7.do_) you will be able to open the document, consider copying the new instance of Trados7.dot from Trados installation folder to Word start up folder instead of renaming the old one back. The possibility it is corrupted (similar to Normal.dot) is quite high.

HTH
Regards
Jerzy

david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Almost solved Aug 3, 2006

Here is a progress report.
I changed the name of Trados7.dot but it didn't help.
So I took up Fernando's solution - gracias, Fernando, - and moved dot files from the Application data/Start up folder to the Application data/templates folder.
What has happened now is that a similar message appears when I try to open any Word file - "runtime error 91" - but at least I can close the message and the document opens.
So now I'm just going to try turning the computer off and see if that helps. Many thanks.

Germany
German to Spanish
Don't forget to run Aug 3, 2006

Detect and Repair

In Menu ?

and a tip, forget Word! work always with Tageditor.

Saludos

[Edited at 2006-08-03 18:07]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Rename your normal.dot to something not recognisable for Word Aug 3, 2006

Take the programm CD with Word and put it into your CD drive.
Usually the setup should start automatically. If not, navigate to the CD in any explorer program you have and start Setup manually.
Chose "Repair" from the menu.
Let setup repair Word.

After this is done, start Word. It will create a completly new Normal.dot. If you had any auto textes or similar settings in your previosu Normal.dot, use the function "Organise" to copy them into your new Normal.dot.

If all this does not help, you will see you confronted with the necessity of reinstalling Word. Afterwards you will also need to reinstall Trados (or at least it will be better IMO).

Please also consider upgrading to a newer version of Office, as the service for Office 2000 is either already discontinued or will be discontinued in the nearest future.
I can recommend both Office XP and Office 2003 - the are very stable applications and do not cause much trouble.

Regards
Jerzy

david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to square one! Aug 3, 2006

I picked up the suggestion of copying trados7.dot from the Trados installation folder and putting a new copy in the word STARTUP folder.
However, I seem now to be back at square one.
I'm going to try Jerzys suggestion and re-install Word and possibly Trados.

david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to square minus one! Aug 3, 2006

OK. I've removed Word and reinstalled from the disc.
Same error message - and I still can't open Word or a Word document.
So I guess the only idea left is to remove Trados and and replace it. Does any one have any other suggestions??

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Stop! Aug 3, 2006

Don´t deinstall Trados and reinstall it - Trados cooperation with Word is limited to the Trados7.dot.
Do you have any other active templates in your Word start up folder? Possibly PDF maker or Abby or something similar? Voice recognition?

Did the problem come all of sudden?
Do you have any service packs installed for your Word version?

Sorry, but I never have had such trouble with Word, so this must be something else.

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
German to Spanish
search for Aug 3, 2006

tmps, I mean ".tmp" files beginning with a ~

If this temp are related to word (you will see it at the path) delete it too.

Repair Excel and Outllook, and the other Office applications you have (same menu "?").

dando palos de ciegoicon_wink.gif who knowsicon_biggrin.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed Fernando, you might be on the very right track Aug 3, 2006

As Word leaves numerous temporary files after every crash.

The best way to get rid of them is to close all applications, go to the c:\documents and settings\current user\local settings\temp folder and delete the complete content of the folder. You can do it temporary into the bin, but you´ll see afterwards, that there are no files of necessity for your system.

But having a lot of temporary files does mislead Word, quite for sure.

Regards
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winword Exe Runtime Error

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search