Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:10
English to French
+ ...
Feb 27, 2006

What is happening ? This site seems less and less user friendly. The questions in Kudoz appear with strange signs instead of the normal letters (especially when, as in French, an accent is required)

When I click on communityu, only half the contents appear, the rest is blank.

The speed is slower and slower...

Answers and behaviors seem less and less pro...I recently received a message complaining about my choice of answer !

I knowe you are doin
... See more
What is happening ? This site seems less and less user friendly. The questions in Kudoz appear with strange signs instead of the normal letters (especially when, as in French, an accent is required)

The speed is slower and slower...

Answers and behaviors seem less and less pro...I recently received a message complaining about my choice of answer !

I knowe you are doing your best. This message is only to make you awarre of my feelings, as others might share them and not take the time to write. Little signs are important.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
concerns Feb 27, 2006

Hi Odette,

Thanks for voicing your concerns. I think it's good to let staff know of our issues or complaints so that they can keep them in mind and address them.

Odette Grille wrote:

That's probably because we're switching to unicode encoding. It's not an easy task and so it's not surprising to see garbled characters until all bugs are fixed. Staff is aware of most unicode issues though, so we'll probably stop seeing strange characters soon.

What browser are you using? Which items do appear on the list?

I get that feeling too sometimes. One reason could be that there are many new users who don't take the time to read the rules and guidelines and submit answers that aren't very professional or "mature".
Now about the complaint you received: you were not supposed to, that's a kudoz rule violation and the moderator should be notified.

Maria

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Maria Feb 27, 2006

[quote]Maria Karra wrote:

Hi Odette,

Thanks for voicing your concerns. I think it's good to let staff know of our issues or complaints so that they can keep them in mind and address them.

Odette Grille wrote:

That's probably because we're switching to unicode encoding. It's not an easy task and so it's not surprising to see garbled characters until all bugs are fixed. Staff is aware of most unicode issues though, so we'll probably stop seeing strange characters soon.

What browser are you using? Which items do appear on the list?

I get that feeling too sometimes. One reason could be that there are many new users who don't take the time to read the rules and guidelines and submit answers that aren't very professional or "mature".
Now about the complaint you received: you were not supposed to, that's a kudoz rule violation and the moderator should be notified.

Maria [What browser are you using? Which items do appear on the list?/

quote]

Thank you Maria, that IS a user friendly answer, and quick, too.

I use Explorer, as I always did. May be I should use Safari, (yes I work with Mac)

When I point to community, everything is blank down to "maps", so I don't see where to click to go to the forums, for example.

Yes, about the complaint, I was surprised, but I just took the time to explain that my decision was motivated by my need and not by the number of translators who agreed with an answer, which only applies when no grading has been given by the asker after some time.

Well, I am glad to know you are aware of the garbled characters.

I still refer people to your site as "the best translators'site on the net"

Bon courage
Ode

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Community tab - possible bug Feb 28, 2006

Odette Grille wrote:

I use Explorer, as I always did. May be I should use Safari, (yes I work with Mac)

When I point to community, everything is blank down to "maps", so I don't see where to click to go to the forums, for example.

This seems to be a bug. I would submit a support request if I were you (staff read forums, but that takes time because they have to read all postings and filter bugs reported in them among other issues and information, while when we submit a support ticket they know immediately that there is a problem that has to be addressed), and I'd put a note that it's urgent, so that they can look at it as soon as they can. There is part of the site's functionality that you cannot use, so I'd call that an urgent issue. Give as much info in your support ticket as you can(Mac platform, version of your IE, when the problem started, what encoding you are using (I'm not saying that this is related to encoding, but you never know), whether any other tabs are affected, etc.)
Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

User friendly ???

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »