Can I translate in SDL 2009 and process a file on Wordfast?
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2012

Hello,
The issue is that I have a large project with many placeables, and I want to use SDL 2009 to get the job done. The client works in Wordfast, which I have zilch experience with.
If I complete the project in SDL 2009 can the client use the file in Wordfast? I guess he would like to run any revisions and use the TM for future projects.
Tried to browse the forums but could not find any related posts.

Thanks !

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:05
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes Jun 6, 2012

You have 2 options:
1. Trados 2009/2011 sdlxliff file format can be opened in Wordfast [with very complicate codings; not easy to work with]
2. Translate in Trados 2009/2011/2007 and use the TM [tmx format] to redo translation quickly in Wordfast.
I recently complete big jobs in option 2 above.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Vincent Lemma
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
option 2 sounds better Jun 6, 2012

Thanks Soonthon !
I think I'll go for option 2, as I have no desire to acquire Wordfast unless necessary.
Perhaps I'll try a few pages and send them to the client for feedback.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Option 3 :-) Jun 6, 2012

Hi,

You could create a custom filetype to handle the wordfast TXML, but it would mean starting from a clean file with no pretranslation in Wordfast and then using the TMX from Wordfast to pretranslate in Studio rather than handle as a true bilingual file. There is a blog article on thi
... See more
Hi,

You could create a custom filetype to handle the wordfast TXML, but it would mean starting from a clean file with no pretranslation in Wordfast and then using the TMX from Wordfast to pretranslate in Studio rather than handle as a true bilingual file. There is a blog article on this here...

http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/02/using-studio-to-handle-other-bilingual-formats-part-1.html

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Vincent Lemma
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
check it out Jun 6, 2012

Hi Paul,
Thanks for this other solution. Indeed, I am starting ex-nuovo with nothing translated in wordfast.
If this method is simple enough to implement, then it may be the most viable for the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I translate in SDL 2009 and process a file on Wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »