Mika Regan
Mika Regan
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
Jul 23, 2009

Hello,

I am a new Trados user, and started using Studio 2009.

My potential client sent me a html file, and asked me to submit the file in .ttx format.

My Studio 2009 automatically creates SDLXLIFF file.

1) Should I convert SDLXLIFF file into TTX format? Or should I assume that Trados 2007 can read SDLXLIFF file?

2) How do I convert the file into TTX format? Just change the extension?

I know I can ask the client but th
... See more
Hello,

I am a new Trados user, and started using Studio 2009.

My potential client sent me a html file, and asked me to submit the file in .ttx format.

My Studio 2009 automatically creates SDLXLIFF file.

1) Should I convert SDLXLIFF file into TTX format? Or should I assume that Trados 2007 can read SDLXLIFF file?

I know I can ask the client but there is an issue of time difference.
If anybody could help me I would be deeply appreciated.

Mika
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:33
French to German
+ ...
Short answers (as a 1st help) Jul 23, 2009

Mika Regan wrote:

I know I can ask the client but there is an issue of time difference.
If anybody could help me I would be deeply appreciated.

Mika

1) SDL Trados 2007 Freelance cannot open .sdlxliff files. This is a SDL proprietary format derived from the open-source XLIFF format.
2) Changing the extension will probably only corrupt the file in question, if it does anything at all.

For the specific conversion .sdlxliff>.ttx, I guess you will have to wait for the answers from Studio 2009 users. I assume there must be an option like 'Save as...' in Studio 2009.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-07-23 19:21 GMT]

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Create ttx in Workbench, translate it in Studio Jul 23, 2009

I do not think there will ever be a sdlxliff-ttx converter.
I would create a ttx in Workbench first: Open Workbench, open TagEditor, open Html in TagEditor, save as ttx
Then you can translate the ttx in Studio. You may even be able to save the html as well directly from Studio.

If you have already translated the html in Studio, you can use your TM to translate the ttx afterwards. Often all or almost all segments will have 100 % TM hits.
Sometimes Studio will not ac
... See more
I do not think there will ever be a sdlxliff-ttx converter.
I would create a ttx in Workbench first: Open Workbench, open TagEditor, open Html in TagEditor, save as ttx
Then you can translate the ttx in Studio. You may even be able to save the html as well directly from Studio.

If you have already translated the html in Studio, you can use your TM to translate the ttx afterwards. Often all or almost all segments will have 100 % TM hits.
Sometimes Studio will not accept ttx files if you already have other files in the project. If that is the case then you can create a new Studio project and use the TM(s) you have created finalizing the first Studio project.

This appears complex. The reason is that the client requests the old format. We will experience that for a period of time. It might be simpler for you translating it in Trados 2007, but then you would have to build skills in that environment which will soon be outdated anyway.

Hope this helps
Kim
Collapse

Mika Regan
Mika Regan
United States
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot save as TTX File,, Jul 23, 2009

Laurent and Kim,

Thank you very much for your answer.
I have tried saving the file as TTX from Editor, but I could not.
(No option in "Save as type:).

I guess I will have to download Studio 2007.
I should be able to use the TM I created.

I hope SDL would add this function to Studio 2009, just as MS office files can be saved as old format.

Mika

Richard Stephen
Richard Stephen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:33
Member (2008)
German to English
Conversion to ttx Jul 24, 2009

I'm doing a job right now with ttx-files in SDL Studio 2009. What I've done is:

1. Convert xml files to ttx with SDL Trados 2007.
I load them all at once by starting TagEditor and then marking them all in the Open box.
Then save each one separately with Ctrl + S. This is a little awkward, and time consuming, but I haven't found any better way - it doesn't take thaaaat much time - I have a total of 400 little xml files.
2. After you have all of them saved as ttx fi
... See more

I load them all at once by starting TagEditor and then marking them all in the Open box.
Then save each one separately with Ctrl + S. This is a little awkward, and time consuming, but I haven't found any better way - it doesn't take thaaaat much time - I have a total of 400 little xml files.
2. After you have all of them saved as ttx files you can start your project in SDL Studio 2009 and work with the ttx files. You can save them as ttx files or as the original xml files directly from SDL Studio 2009 – you don't need to go back to TagEditor in the 2007 version again.

[Edited at 2009-07-24 06:19 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Stephen
United States
Member (2008)
German to English
Conversion to ttx Jul 24, 2009

Then save each one separately with + S. This is a little awkward, and time consuming, but I haven't found any better way - it doesn't take thaaaat much time - I have a total of 400 little xml files.
2. After you have all of them saved as ttx files
... See more

Then save each one separately with + S. This is a little awkward, and time consuming, but I haven't found any better way - it doesn't take thaaaat much time - I have a total of 400 little xml files.
2. After you have all of them saved as ttx files you can start your project in SDL Studio 2009 and work with the ttx files. You can save them as ttx files or as the original xml files directly from SDL Studio 2009 – you don't need to go back to TagEditor in the 2007 version again.
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Trados 2007 required Jul 24, 2009

Mika Regan wrote:

Laurent and Kim,

Thank you very much for your answer.
I have tried saving the file as TTX from Editor, but I could not.
(No option in "Save as type:).

Mika

Hi Mika,

You need to be aware that the output of Studio will always be in the same format as your input. So, in order to produce a TTX output in Studio, you need to have a TTX file before starting translation in Studio.

Trados 2007 is required here. Open your HTML in TagEditor, save as TTX from there, then translate the TTX in Studio. This way, you can save your sdlxliff as TTX once your done with translation.

HTH,
Stefan

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Short info Jul 24, 2009

As far as I know, the guys in SDL are considering the possibility of adding the option to create TTX files directly from within Studio. I have no information though, whether they decide to include this feature. I believe most of us would appreciate it.

Mika Regan
Mika Regan
United States
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Still cannot install Trados 2007...! Jul 24, 2009

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your comments.

I have been trying to install Trados 2007, and it just doesn't work!
I guess it is a whole different topic, and very similar to what people have been experiencing trying to install both 2007 and Studio 2009.
My IT engineer husband has been working on this.

I had no problem installing Studio 2009, and I do enjoy the functionality of it.

Anyway, please wish me luck in installing
... See more
Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your comments.

I have been trying to install Trados 2007, and it just doesn't work!
I guess it is a whole different topic, and very similar to what people have been experiencing trying to install both 2007 and Studio 2009.
My IT engineer husband has been working on this.

I had no problem installing Studio 2009, and I do enjoy the functionality of it.

Anyway, please wish me luck in installing the 2007.

Cheers,

Mika
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Why? Jul 25, 2009

Hi Mika,
any particular problem with T2007 Suite?

Richard Stephen
United States
Member (2008)
German to English
Conversion to ttx Aug 12, 2009

Forget my instructions above - I just found a much better way.
Use the batch translation feature in Trados 2007 to convert all files to ttx.
This is very quick and efficient. If you don't want any pre-translation use a 'blank' TM.
Then proceed with SDO Studio 2009 as described above.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... Aug 13, 2009

Hi Mika,

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but if you are translating a ttx file in SDL Trados Studio 2009 then you will be given a choice on how to save your files when using the Save Target As function. It can be saved as either the original format or the ttx format.

Please translate the file in the Editor as usual and then please go to File > Save Target As. You will then be given the option to save the file as the original format or ttx format.

It is n
... See more
Hi Mika,

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but if you are translating a ttx file in SDL Trados Studio 2009 then you will be given a choice on how to save your files when using the Save Target As function. It can be saved as either the original format or the ttx format.

Please translate the file in the Editor as usual and then please go to File > Save Target As. You will then be given the option to save the file as the original format or ttx format.

It is not currently possible to create a ttx file in SDL Trados Studio 2009. However, if you would like to see this feature added to a future release then I would recommend voting on the following idea from the ideas.sdl.com website:

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2243

If the idea proves popular amongst other users then it could be implemented into a future release.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-08-13 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:33
English to French
+ ...
+ 1 Apr 30, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

It is not currently possible to create a ttx file in SDL Trados Studio 2009. However, if you would like to see this feature added to a future release then I would recommend voting on the following idea from the ideas.sdl.com website:

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2243

If the idea proves popular amongst other users then it could be implemented into a future release.

[ ... ]

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team[Edited at 2009-08-13 10:11 GMT]

You have my vote. But I also think it would be nice if you could make a patch for it. A service pack would be nice. Then, we could all just get back to work and everybody would be happy.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2010-04-30 23:19 GMT]

Giorgio Mauro
Giorgio Mauro  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Dead end Jun 24, 2010

SDLXLIFF: another proprietary format - what nonsense!
Best way to manouver the tool and its users into a dead end.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not proprietary Jun 24, 2010

Giorgio Mauro wrote:

SDLXLIFF: another proprietary format - what nonsense!
Best way to manouver the tool and its users into a dead end.

SDLXLIFF is valid XLIFF. It is only called SDL at the beginning to make file association easier for the majority of users.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting SDLXLIFF file to TTX file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »