How to translate Quark files with Trados?
Thread poster: Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
United States
Local time: 10:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

Hello everybody!

I've never done it before, but I might have to translate a Quark file. I have Trados and I know it can be done with TagEditor.
Any good sites to find out how to do it? Is anybody willing to tell me how?

It seems rather difficult. What I don't understand is the following: do I need to have Quark? I don't think so. So, should my client send me the files already in .qsc format if I don't have Quark?

I got to the point that I'm kind of l
... See more
Hello everybody!

I've never done it before, but I might have to translate a Quark file. I have Trados and I know it can be done with TagEditor.
Any good sites to find out how to do it? Is anybody willing to tell me how?

It seems rather difficult. What I don't understand is the following: do I need to have Quark? I don't think so. So, should my client send me the files already in .qsc format if I don't have Quark?

I got to the point that I'm kind of lost.

I appreciate all your help!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:23
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I guess you will need Quark Aug 18, 2005

Maybe there's ways around this issue, but my experience is that after a long search to avoid the isssue, I had to give in and get Quark.

Read the chapter 5 in fileFormatsref_en.pdf for detailed and accurate, as far as my experience goes, description of the process.

In essence you do need QXP twice: first to export the contents of your file(s) to a Tag-editor-compatible form and then to import the translated and cleaned result back into the QXP file.

If i
... See more
Maybe there's ways around this issue, but my experience is that after a long search to avoid the isssue, I had to give in and get Quark.

Read the chapter 5 in fileFormatsref_en.pdf for detailed and accurate, as far as my experience goes, description of the process.

In essence you do need QXP twice: first to export the contents of your file(s) to a Tag-editor-compatible form and then to import the translated and cleaned result back into the QXP file.

If it is just a file or two, drop me a mail.

smo
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:23
English to Polish
... Aug 18, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:

And of course you need to install Trados Story Collector for QXP (it comes with your Trados installation, but you have to install the appropriate Trados extension).

In case of Mac files I wouldn't recommend changing platform (unless you are Quark guru and you know what will happen). You should export the content on Mac using CopyFlow Gold (not free), translate it on PC and import back on Mac. There is a freeware tool from SDL, but it works only with SDLX (you cannot open the exported text file in Trados).

HTH,
Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Quark files with Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »