Lera Boroditsky on how language shapes the way we think (TED talk)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Lera Boroditsky on how language shapes the way we think (TED talk)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

potra
United States
Local time: 22:35
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Language shaping culture and thought May 2

Interesting, now I'm thinking out loud: 'He broke the vase' vs 'the vase broke' could also explain why in Romance languages and cultures there is no corresponding term (and concept) for 'accountability' that is simply responsibility. So here is why in Romance languages (I know it is so for Italian) the concept of accountability remains vague, intangible and unspoken of. So citizens of romance languages cultures tend to have societies where the line between right and wrong, crime and punishment remains very hazy.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same in Spanish May 3

It's a great way to avoid responsibility without actually stooping to outright lying. We can also do the same in English, for example "it got lost" -> "I/we lost it" ...

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 03:35
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Sapir-Whorf? May 3

I thought the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis of linguistic relativity was long since discredited.

Geoff Williams

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lera Boroditsky on how language shapes the way we think (TED talk)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search