Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2004

I just tried to open a file saved in text format, and got the message: "Windows cannot find notepad.exe"

I have had problems in the past couple of days with attempted infection by the "downloader.revop.a" virus. My anti-virus picked those up and the files are listed as "healed" in the report. However, one of the files affected is precisely the "notepad.exe" file.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
... See more
I just tried to open a file saved in text format, and got the message: "Windows cannot find notepad.exe"

I have had problems in the past couple of days with attempted infection by the "downloader.revop.a" virus. My anti-virus picked those up and the files are listed as "healed" in the report. However, one of the files affected is precisely the "notepad.exe" file.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:46
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try this Mar 30, 2004

I found the files you might need on a site that deals with spyware:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/winfiles.html#notepad

Here you can read more, and download notepad etc. into your system, or restore it from your Windows setup CD.

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Removal Tips Mar 30, 2004

Hi Susana,

See if these links will help you:

http://www.pchell.com/virus/qaz.shtml

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.qaz.a.html

The virus is referred to under different names here but
... See more
Hi Susana,

See if these links will help you:

http://www.pchell.com/virus/qaz.shtml

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.qaz.a.html

The virus is referred to under different names here but it may be the one you're talking about.

N
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
possible easy solution Mar 31, 2004

Try this. Go to START. then FIND. Type NOTEPAD.EXE. Your computer may find more than one of them. Try double-clicking on whichever ones listed. It may be that the "shortcut" notepad.exe was ruined but the "real" one opens it. Worth a shot.
good luck

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gentlemen... Mar 31, 2004

Thank you all so very much, this is all pointing me in the right direction.

I have been trying to follow the directions for removing the virus, but can't seem to make it past "click Start, then Programs, then wait for the MS-DOS Prompt". I am on Windows XP, there does not seem to be an MS-DOS option anywhere.

Help, please

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
DOS prompt in Win XP Mar 31, 2004

Susana Galilea wrote:

Thank you all so very much, this is all pointing me in the right direction.

I have been trying to follow the directions for removing the virus, but can't seem to make it past "click Start, then Programs, then wait for the MS-DOS Prompt". I am on Windows XP, there does not seem to be an MS-DOS option anywhere.

Help, please

Click: START

Click: RUN...

Type: cmd

Click: OK

Then the DOS prompt should appear. To navigate to different directories, type: cd [directory]

E.g., to go to root directory: cd c:[backslash]

To go to windows directory: cd windows

[Edited at 2004-03-31 17:07]

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
excellent :) Mar 31, 2004

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:
Click: START
Click: RUN...
Type: cmd
Click: OK
Then the DOS prompt should appear. To navigate to different directories, type: cd [directory]
E.g., to go to root directory: cd c:[backslash]
To go to windows directory: cd windows
[Edited at 2004-03-31 17:07]

Thanks so much, Norbert! That worked, except the result of all this is "0 infected, 0 repaired files" and I still can't open my documents created in text format

Perhaps I am not understanding what "downloading [a file] to the root of drive C" means?

Thanks for all the help

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Root Mar 31, 2004

Susana Galilea wrote:

Perhaps I am not understanding what "downloading [a file] to the root of drive C" means?

Not sure which instructions you're following here; but the root of drive C is (normally) the root of your hard drive (C colon backslash). When you click on My Computer, you can see all the drives in your system. Click on drive C (probably named "Local Disk"), and you're at the root of drive C. (If you're using the DOS prompt, type "cd c:[backslash]".) This is where you're supposed to place said file.

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
done Mar 31, 2004

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:
Click on drive C (probably named "Local Disk"), and you're at the root of drive C. (If you're using the DOS prompt, type "cd c:[backslash]".) This is where you're supposed to place said file.

That's what I did before running the scan...don't know what else to try

Thanks anyway for all the great help!

[Edited at 2004-03-31 20:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notepad won't open

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »