I am a full-time professional translator working from German to (British) English and have been accorded the status of certified translator (ermächtigter Übersetzer) for the Berlin courts and notaries. In addition, in 2008 I was awarded the Diploma in Translation (Chartered Institute of Linguists, UK) for German > English with a Merit in the general and business papers and a Distinction in the legal paper and am a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (UK) and the German professional association of translators (Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer).
I specialise in translating and editing texts of a legal and political nature. I have expertise in many areas of public and private law and in related social science disciplines of sociology, politics, international affairs and gender studies.
I have lived and worked in Germany for significant periods of my adult life. I have currently been in Berlin for over 18 years.
My background is in law and academia, having worked for many years as a lecturer in law at the University of Bristol and subsequently as a post-doctoral researcher at the Humboldt University Berlin. I am a graduate of the Universities of Cambridge and Bristol and of the European University Institute in Florence. Following successful completion of the Bar Vocational Course I was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 1993.
I regularly translate a variety of court documents for the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Other recent projects for a range of direct clients include the translation of
- a contract for the European Investment Bank Group
- particulars of claim to be served on a foreign defendant
- excerpts from German legislation
- German court judgment for the European Central Bank
- articles of association of a non-profit company
- bidding agreement prior to a forced sale of property
- legal opinion on tax matters
- essays on corporate governance regulation which appear in European company law and the Sustainable Company: a stakeholder approach. Vol. II
- essays on architecture and design which appear in Contemporary Architecture in Arabia, LX Architecture, and Russia Now all published by DOM Publishers, Berlin
English-language editorial and style-checking projects include
- legal working papers
- papers on labour market policy written by researchers at a large German research institute
- essays published in the edited collections: Wandel der Geschlechterverhältnisse durch Recht? (eds Arioli and Cottier et al.), European Union Non-discrimination Law (eds Schiek and Chege), European Union Non-discrimination Law and Intersectionality (eds Schiek and Lawson) and European company law and the Sustainable Company: a stakeholder approach. Vol. II (eds Vitols and Heuschmidt)
Rates and further references are available on request.