Off topic: A job done comes back through another outsourcer – How/What to do?
Thread poster: VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Aug 5, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Hello again, I hope you are going as well as usual. Today I have a business issue to consult you all.

I had completed a translation job for an agency. Afterward, a man from different agency contacted me if I was available to do the job asking for a quote. Negotiating about how much I would charge he sent me the file then pinpointed that it was an easy job and the 3rd round of proofreading needed.

Opening the file I found the job
... See more
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Hello again, I hope you are going as well as usual. Today I have a business issue to consult you all.

I had completed a translation job for an agency. Afterward, a man from different agency contacted me if I was available to do the job asking for a quote. Negotiating about how much I would charge he sent me the file then pinpointed that it was an easy job and the 3rd round of proofreading needed.

Opening the file I found the job I had done. This made me a big surprise but I kept quiet despite of which I have found some errors resulted from words changed. Consequently, I politely rejected the PO with a reason that pricing was not acceptable.

Obviously, I think it should be returned to me by the same agency and that I should be enabled to accept or reject changes had been made by different translator(s) considering MS initiated features. This is why I decided not to accept such a PO including some other reasons.

In general, many clients confirm their acknowledgement receipt of my invoice. But I have heard nothing about the invoice regarding this PO.

Within such a situation, I wonder whether my decision was right, or, how or what you would do if you were me.

Your comments and/or recommendations regarding such a business issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Kind regards,

Vibol Keo
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 07:42
French to Dutch
+ ...
Of course this isn't true Aug 5, 2008

VIBOL KEO wrote:
Obviously, I think it should be returned to me by the same agency and that I should be enabled to accept or reject changes had been made by different translator(s) considering MS initiated features. Vibol Keo

This of course isn't true. End clients can go shopping where and when they like. There are several possibilities: either the clien doesn't trust the first agency, either he isn't glad about the translated text, or he wants to have a third opinion, or something else. It is up to you to accept this translation/proofreading or not, but I think you shouldn't give informations or details, because you clearly have here two competing agencies or agencies which are on the same market or share the same client. Never inform client B of details you know from agency A. In my opinion, the fact that you know this text is confidential and confidentiality should be your standard practice. Everything that is behind is not the translator's problem.

It regularly happens in small language pairs. You can say that you are too busy, or accept it without giving details.

[Modifié le 2008-08-05 16:39]

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:42
English to Spanish
Two advices Aug 5, 2008

1. Come clear with the agency.
2. Translate only into your native language.

(I do it in both directions but just because my social, educational, and professional background allows it. I am almost 60 years old and have lived here since I was 16, and when I arrived I had already studied English for 5 consecutive years.)

[Edited at 2008-08-05 19:07]

VIBOL KEO
Member (2009)
TOPIC STARTER
Your kind advice ... Aug 6, 2008

Dear Luisa Ramos,

Thanks for your kind advice regarding the relevant issue. My native language is targeted for this PO. However, it is not a small project that I should not be concerned about or should forget. Thanks once again for your valuable time. Best wishes,

Any additional comments/recommendations would also be grateful.

Vibol K

VIBOL KEO
Member (2009)
TOPIC STARTER
But the 2 facts: Quality and Paying off! Aug 6, 2008

Hello,

Well, I am not sure if it is reasonable when it comes to saying this of course isn't true.

Obviously, what you quoted is that I would like to refer to the quality that is the main objective of every clients that it is the first fact. Another fact is that we are working to get paid or we are not working for free.

Regardless the volume I do not see any further than an appropriate design and management to do a project for the real goal and objectiv
... See more
Hello,

Well, I am not sure if it is reasonable when it comes to saying this of course isn't true.

Obviously, what you quoted is that I would like to refer to the quality that is the main objective of every clients that it is the first fact. Another fact is that we are working to get paid or we are not working for free.

Regardless the volume I do not see any further than an appropriate design and management to do a project for the real goal and objective with a special focus on schope of works, time, and money for mutual benefits.

However, I have considered if it is a part of mysterious difficulties within a limit of the development context in connecting people between developing and developed countries. Also, thanks for your valuable time sharing comments regarding such an issue.

I also wish to have learned more from others. Good Luck!

[Edited at 2008-08-06 09:35]

[Edited at 2008-08-06 09:37]
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Talking about advices... Aug 7, 2008

Dear Vibol Keo,

You did the right thing.
There is nothing more to add.

Luisa Ramos wrote:

1. Come clear with the agency.
2. Translate only into your native language.

(I do it in both directions but just because my social, educational, and professional background allows it. I am almost 60 years old and have lived here since I was 16, and when I arrived I had already studied English for 5 consecutive years.)

Dear Luisa,

1. The translator excused himself from the job. It was the right thing to do, and there is no need to "come clear" with the agency. It is not his task or responsibility to tell the agency - who knows anyway - that another agency/translator was commissioned to do the translation.
The translator happens to be him, but he wisely avoided any conflict or complication. It would have been a different matter, if he were tempted to accept the job.

2. Are you aware, how many native English translators translate from Khmer into English on the ProZ site?
Or anywhere else, for that matter?
The "translate into your native language only" subject was discussed zillions of times, and I do not wish to bring it up again.
As an illustration to point out how inappropriate this mantra can be, I leave you to check out the number of English native language translators to translate from Khmer. Agencies do not count! I don’t want to elaborate on the matter any further, just to make you think about it.

Regards
Judith

VIBOL KEO
Member (2009)
TOPIC STARTER
All info in here are valuable ... Aug 13, 2008

Dear Judith,

Sorry I has come back late to the forum since I was very busy at doing other jobs. However, all info in here are valuable for our consideration and learning more and more. Plus, I would like to say thank you for your common sense.

Best wishes,

Vibol K

[Edited at 2008-08-13 10:35]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You are welcome Aug 14, 2008

and thanks.
Judith

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Khmer and translating into your native language Aug 14, 2008

juvera wrote:
The "translate into your native language only" subject was discussed zillions of times, and I do not wish to bring it up again.
As an illustration to point out how inappropriate this mantra can be, I leave you to check out the number of English native language translators to translate from Khmer.

You are quite right, Juvera. While I usually fall into the camp of "translate into your native language", especially because I see very few examples of high quality work that go in the other direction for my language pair, there are obvious exceptions such as Khmer->English and other pairs involving "exotic" languages (some of which are so commonly spoken that calling them exotic is really silly). As long as there is sufficient care given to proper editing of the target text to ensure that there is no miscommunication, I really don't care who translates in what direction. If there's a problem, it will come out eventually and be addressed; if not, all I can say for those who don't properly evaluate the qualifications of the translators used and ensure that the overall translation process is structured appropriately is "stupidity has a price".

Vibol,

There's nothing wrong in the way you handled this job. However, I wouldn't worry about which outsourcer made the request for further proofreading, as this may very well be a case of the end client checking up on the work of the first agency or just wanting an "independent" opinion. Accepting the job would also have been appropriate and would have given you an opportunity to fix mistakes made in the earlier corrections.

[Edited at 2008-08-14 11:06]

VIBOL KEO
Member (2009)
TOPIC STARTER
Your kind advice ... Aug 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Kevin,

With my sincere thanks your kind advice or suggestions would be much appreciated regarding the different circumstances scenarios.

I am not concerned about accepting or not, however, I merely wish that a football team for a match should be considered for an adaptive process as well as seeking for progress activities from both concerned parties.

Thanks once again and Best Luck!

Vibol K

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A job done comes back through another outsourcer – How/What to do?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »