Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:03
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

Hi

I have a question about SDLX and right to left languages. I mainly handle technical manuals for electronic consumer goods with SDLX (client's preferred CAT tool). These manuals are full of expressions like:

Menu [Item 9-3-1] "START" (Always)

It's virtually impossible for me to get the brackets in the correct place when translating them into Farsi which is a right to left language and the typed text in SDLX would be something like:

translatio
... See more
Hi

I have a question about SDLX and right to left languages. I mainly handle technical manuals for electronic consumer goods with SDLX (client's preferred CAT tool). These manuals are full of expressions like:

Menu [Item 9-3-1] "START" (Always)

It's virtually impossible for me to get the brackets in the correct place when translating them into Farsi which is a right to left language and the typed text in SDLX would be something like:

translation ]9-3[-1 translation "" translation()

I tried to set some rules as to where should I key in the brackets but I always failed to reach a conclusion. To make the issue more complicated, when you want to format paint the document, the text goes haywire.

The same issue is reflected in the cleaned file as well. I never have this problem with other CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast. I always inform my clients about this issue and they have never returned to me on it, so I could only think it's a known problem for them as well.

Any ideas? am I doing something wrong?

I run SDLX 2004 standard edition over a Win XP box.

Thanks.
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
French to German
+ ...
Mailing list Apr 14, 2005

I think the SDLX mailing list can be helpfull.

[email protected]

Best regards:)

Geneviève

Alami
Alami
Germany
Local time: 02:03
German to Arabic
+ ...
RE: SDLX and Right to Left languages Jan 28, 2010

Hi,

This answer comes maybe too late, but it may help people who are now reading this post and are having the same issue. Please take a look at the following link:
http://www.proz.com/post/1313306
I don't know if this also applies to Farsi, but it works for Arabic.

Regards,

Fayçal

[Modifié le 2010-01-28 16:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX and Right to Left languages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »