SDLX and Right to Left languages
Thread poster: Rahi Moosavi

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:15
Partial member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

I have a question about SDLX and right to left languages. I mainly handle technical manuals for electronic consumer goods with SDLX (client's preferred CAT tool). These manuals are full of expressions like:

Menu [Item 9-3-1] "START" (Always)

It's virtually impossible for me to get the brackets in the correct place when translating them into Farsi which is a right to left language and the typed text in SDLX would be something like:

translation ]9-3[-1 translation "" translation()

I tried to set some rules as to where should I key in the brackets but I always failed to reach a conclusion. To make the issue more complicated, when you want to format paint the document, the text goes haywire.

The same issue is reflected in the cleaned file as well. I never have this problem with other CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast. I always inform my clients about this issue and they have never returned to me on it, so I could only think it's a known problem for them as well.

Any ideas? am I doing something wrong?

I run SDLX 2004 standard edition over a Win XP box.

Direct link Reply with quote

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Mailing list Apr 14, 2005

I think the SDLX mailing list can be helpfull.

Best regards:)

Local time: 23:15
German to Arabic
+ ...
RE: SDLX and Right to Left languages Jan 28, 2010

This answer comes maybe too late, but it may help people who are now reading this post and are having the same issue. Please take a look at the following link:
I don't know if this also applies to Farsi, but it works for Arabic.

[Modifié le 2010-01-28 16:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX and Right to Left languages

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs