Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:22
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 16, 2006

Dear all,

I have received a job offer where Trados was requested since there are some HTML files to be translated.
I don't have Trados but I use WordFast and I'm not sure this CAT does support HTML files.

How does WF work with this type of files?

Thanks in advance

Valeria Ricciardi

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
PlusTools May 16, 2006

AFAIK, you have to prepare the files using Wordfast PlusTools, which you can get from Mr Champollion's web site http://www.wordfast.net/.

HTH,
Benjamin

Valeria Ricciardi
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 16, 2006

Thanks a lot Benjamin! I have downloaded the PlusTool and the manual nad I'llcheck how it works ASAP.

Bye

Valeria

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast and HTML May 16, 2006

Valeria Ricciardi wrote:
I have received a job offer where Trados was requested since there are some HTML files to be translated. I don't have Trados but I use WordFast and I'm not sure this CAT does support HTML files.

Wordfast can indeed translate HTML files. Since the client requested that you use Trados (or similar), I assume he wants you to deliver an uncleaned tagged document. Use PlusTools for that.

If the client simply wants you to use any CAT tool, remember that Wordfast can also be used to translate the output from Stormdance Caterpillar (shareware) as well as the HTML tool by eHive (freeware). You'll need to do some tagging, though, as explained in the Wordfast user manual.

Valeria Ricciardi
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 16, 2006

Thanks Samuel, I have downloaded the PlusTool even if I haven't tried it yet.

It's good to know that WF can do almost the same things as Trados in an easier and cheaper way!

Bye

Valeria

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:22
Italian to Danish
+ ...
You could also try Catscradle May 17, 2006

I regularly work with WordFast but whenever I get a full website to translate I use the freeware programme Catscradle, no preparation needed at all and you can check the look of the page during work to see that everything is in the right place on the site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can WordFast be used with HTML files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »