Applying for work as a new translator
Thread poster: Bettina Brune-McClintock (X)
Bettina Brune-McClintock (X)
Bettina Brune-McClintock (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Jan 21, 2003

I am so excited about joining the world of translation, yet am aware at the same time of my \"new\" status. Is there a way of knowing if a job is \"entry level\"? My biggest weakness is simply my lack of experience. What key word or phrase can I include in a bid or my CV that will help me win a job? I have nowhere to go but up.

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone might have!

Sincerely,

Bettina Brune-McClintock

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:27
SITE FOUNDER
What is your specialization? Jan 21, 2003

I got my first jobs because of my area of specialization. Emphasize that, and target the clients who require expertise in those areas.

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
Local time: 00:27
English to German
+ ...
Keep going... Jan 22, 2003

Dear Bettina!

Welcome to the World of Translation!

This is probably more a comment, than help for you, but if you ask me, you are doing exactly the right thing. You\'re gathering information, asking questions and gaining your own sense of security with the whole situation.

I am sure, if you keep it up, you will get a good idea of how to target clients, how to \"sell\" your qualities and expertise, and what it is they want to hear.

And in fi
... See more
Dear Bettina!

Welcome to the World of Translation!

This is probably more a comment, than help for you, but if you ask me, you are doing exactly the right thing. You\'re gathering information, asking questions and gaining your own sense of security with the whole situation.

I am sure, if you keep it up, you will get a good idea of how to target clients, how to \"sell\" your qualities and expertise, and what it is they want to hear.

And in finding and joining ProZ, you definitely have found a group of highly qualified translators, who are always very willing to help \"newbies\" as well as \"oldies\" with whatever problem they might have.

Good luck, and enjoy the new experience!

With best regards from Germany (im Ruhrgebiet!),

Christina
Collapse

Bettina Brune-McClintock (X)
Bettina Brune-McClintock (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 23, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 19:53, Henry wrote:

I got my first jobs because of my area of specialization. Emphasize that, and target the clients who require expertise in those areas.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my cry for help! I do currently list on this and another website what my areas of interest/expertise are so it is reassuring to know I\'m doing the right ther... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-21 19:53, Henry wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my cry for help! I do currently list on this and another website what my areas of interest/expertise are so it is reassuring to know I\'m doing the right there in that regard. Thanks again! ▲ Collapse

debrenanicole
debrenanicole
English
Considering . . . Aug 18, 2006

Henry wrote:

I'm considering going to school to become a translator and I've been gathering information just to ruminate over things a bit. What are the areas of specialization that are available for translators?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying for work as a new translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »