Thread poster: ghis2812
ghis2812
ghis2812
Local time: 00:25
English to French
+ ...
Jul 24, 2007

Hello everyone!

I'd need information about what my salary expectations should be for such a role.

The company is in a small town in Quebec . It is an in-house, 35 hours position as a linguistic tester. They are offering 10$CAD/hour.

Regards and many thanks in advance,

G

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-24 10:14]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Salary expectation for linguistic tester - Quebec Jul 24, 2007

Roughly equal to GBP 4.50, which is below the UK minimum wage for over 22s, and equates to a yearly salary of around GBP 8000, working 52 weeks a year.

Not worth even contemplating getting out of bed for, in my opinion, but each to their own.

In any case, it really doesn't matter what other people's expectations are (as long as the measly CAD 10.00 isn't flouting a law on minimum wages): would this rate cover YOUR living costs? It certainly wouldn't go anywhere
... See more
Roughly equal to GBP 4.50, which is below the UK minimum wage for over 22s, and equates to a yearly salary of around GBP 8000, working 52 weeks a year.

Not worth even contemplating getting out of bed for, in my opinion, but each to their own.

In any case, it really doesn't matter what other people's expectations are (as long as the measly CAD 10.00 isn't flouting a law on minimum wages): would this rate cover YOUR living costs? It certainly wouldn't go anywhere near covering mine, but then I do have a penchant for nice French cheeses...

Good luck,
Amy

[Edited at 2007-07-24 10:49]
Collapse

ghis2812
ghis2812
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 24, 2007

Thank you for this reply. I also think that's not much but maybe living costs are lower in Quebec...I absolutely have no idea!

G

Marc-André Laniel
Marc-André Laniel  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
English to French
+ ...
Depends on what you're looking for Jul 24, 2007

Minimum wage in Québec is CAD$8/hr, so I think $10/hr is on the low side. Then again, I don't what the market is for a linguistic tester. Cost of living in Quebec is a lot cheaper than in Europe. For example, electricity, heat and hot water are very cheap, even in the cold winter months, and are sometimes included in the rent. Rent could also be low, since you mentioned "a small town in Quebec." Outside of Montreal and Quebec City, rent tends to be very affordable. There is a provincial health ... See more
Minimum wage in Québec is CAD$8/hr, so I think $10/hr is on the low side. Then again, I don't what the market is for a linguistic tester. Cost of living in Quebec is a lot cheaper than in Europe. For example, electricity, heat and hot water are very cheap, even in the cold winter months, and are sometimes included in the rent. Rent could also be low, since you mentioned "a small town in Quebec." Outside of Montreal and Quebec City, rent tends to be very affordable. There is a provincial health care plan that covers everything but dental and eye exams, but I don't know what the requirements are for immigrants. Taxes are high, but at under $20,000/yr, I don't think you'd be paying much, so $10/hr is pretty much net salary. There are obviously other things to consider, such as family and transportation, since distances are long in Québec and small towns don't usually have a public transit system. Railways aren't as developed as in Europe either, so getting a car might be something to consider.Collapse

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
On the low side Jul 24, 2007

Hi there,

You might try looking at monster.ca or jobboom.ca. There may be similar positions advertised with a salary range. From memory those sites also run salary surveys, the results of which are searchable.

Wages tend to be lower in Montreal than in Vancouver or Toronto, but CAD 10 per hour is quite low regardless. 3 years ago that was the rate being offered to first-level tech support reps who were just starting out - that might give you an idea.

Also,
... See more
Hi there,

You might try looking at monster.ca or jobboom.ca. There may be similar positions advertised with a salary range. From memory those sites also run salary surveys, the results of which are searchable.

Wages tend to be lower in Montreal than in Vancouver or Toronto, but CAD 10 per hour is quite low regardless. 3 years ago that was the rate being offered to first-level tech support reps who were just starting out - that might give you an idea.

Also, living costs will vary depending on your location: how far north is this small town? I seem to recall that the further north you go, the more expensive food gets.

In short, I certainly wouldn't move countries for such a low wage. If your goal is ultimately to settle in Quebec though, this could be a good place to start. When I was over there, the general consensus among people from overseas was that it was much easier to get a good *second* job. Employers simply preferred to hire people who had had previous experience working in Canada or, even better, in Quebec.

Good luck
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary expectation for linguistic tester - Quebec

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »