MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:57
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
one interesting thing Aug 19, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Here is a summary of what we have so far.

What is interesting is that some people believe that there is such a thing as a geographically universal market rate (i.e. the market rate would be the same irrespective of where the translator or the client is from).

THAT IS REALLY INTERESTING. Does the client actually care what place you work at (you sit with your laptop in London or Glasgow, near a balcony in your living room, or with a laptop in the garden on a sunny morning)? The client cares for other things - reliability, turnaround, quality, rates, etc. (depending on preferences). The interesting thing for us is that in many areas the "market rate" (like real estate) depends on location - here it does not matter. It is a VERY big advantage. I can work for the national rates, and can live somewhere in a country that is 5 times cheaper than my country (as long as I have computer and internet). That makes no difference WHERE I do the job.

[Edited at 2007-08-19 02:19]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your definition of a market rate

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »