Paula Lara Domínguez
Paula Lara Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 1, 2007

Hi,

I have just delivered a proofreading made with MS Word 2003, but I had to download a programm in oder to read it because the translator used a newer version. The agency's computer is not able to open the file I sent, but I am having no problems to do that. Can any one help, please? Thanks

Paula

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-01 19:52]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
what software? Oct 1, 2007

yo misma wrote:

Hi,

I have just delivered a proofreading made with MS Word 2003, but I had to download a programm in oder to read it because the translator used a newer version. The agency's computer is not able to open the file I sent, but I am having no problems to do that. Can any one help, please? Thanks

Paula

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-01 19:52]

What software did you download?

Piotr

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Word 2007 is not fully compatible for proofreading! Oct 2, 2007

Hi Paula,

This is a problem we came across a few times lately.

The client sends us a Word 2007 file.
We have Office 2003, download the compatibility patch from Microsoft, and open the document.

Now, there is a bug that makes some comments invisible, especially in tables and embedded textboxes. This emanates from Word 2007 XML code being parsed badly!

If the agency can't open the file (but you can), it obviously means that they have an eve
... See more
Hi Paula,

This is a problem we came across a few times lately.

The client sends us a Word 2007 file.
We have Office 2003, download the compatibility patch from Microsoft, and open the document.

Now, there is a bug that makes some comments invisible, especially in tables and embedded textboxes. This emanates from Word 2007 XML code being parsed badly!

If the agency can't open the file (but you can), it obviously means that they have an even older version of Word, or didn't bother to download the patch.

Either tell the agency to upgrade to Word 2007, or at least download the patch. Actually it's not your problem to solve the agency's IT problems, since it's clearly not your fault.

Or the entire chain has to backtrack, and make sure everybody works in the same version of Word. Problem solved!

/Jan
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
two options Oct 2, 2007

you can:
- ask the translator to save it as .doc. or you can do that prior to sending it back to your client, or
- you can tell them to download office compatibility pack from microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

[E
... See more
you can:
- ask the translator to save it as .doc. or you can do that prior to sending it back to your client, or
- you can tell them to download office compatibility pack from microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

[Edited at 2007-10-02 08:34]
Collapse

Paula Lara Domínguez
Paula Lara Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 3, 2007

Thanks a lot for your help. I copy/pasted the dpcument in a new .doc file and apparently that workedD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file is not opening

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »